Chapter 11: Death Gun

Death Gun, Asuna repeated inside of her head, after hearing the menacing figure on the screen say his name.  Is this...some kind of weird joke from the game's developers?  I don't get it? For a joke, it seems kind of...creepy.  Plus, that outfit is...off-putting, to say the least.  If it's not a joke, then what is this weird guy trying to accomplish?

While Asuna, her friends and the other players that were inside of the lounge area debated whether or not what they were seeing on the screens was real, the individual, who referred to himself as Death Gun, continued. 

"Many of you might think this is some kind of sick joke but I am here to tell you that it isn't. It's the furthest thing from a joke."

Players watching the screen began mumbling to themselves about what they were watching and Asuna heard Kazuto mutter, "Something about this feels really off."

She couldn't help but agree with what he was saying but didn't have any idea what the figure on the screen was trying to accomplish. 

"It seems that...everyone...has forgotten how dangerous the Nerve Gear can truly be.  The SAO incident wasn't even that long ago and, yet, it seems that everyone, including the survivors, have moved on.  They no longer fear returning to this VR world.  Fear.  Such a simple word...and the main reason I'm here, talking to you, now.  I think...people need to be reminded just how dangerous the VR world can truly be and the best way to accomplish that...is fear.  That's exactly what I am...a symbol of fear and I'll use this weapon in my hand to carve that fear into each and every one of your brains, hahaha."

"What the fuck is this weirdo talking about?"

"When's the announcement for the 'Bullet of Bullets'?"

"This has got be some kind of joke, right?  It's getting old pretty fast.  I just wish they would move on already."

Despite all of the other players still set on what they were watching being a joke, Asuna noticed that the concerned look on Kazuto's face...and her friends' faces hadn't left...in fact, they had only gotten worse. 

The only noise on the screen, at this point, was the sound of Death Gun's breathing, that came from the respirator in his skull mask. 

"Seems...no one is taking me seriously.  How unfortunate...and expected.  How about a demonstration then?"

All of the sudden, the camera that was filming Death Gun zoomed out and now, it was clear that he was standing at somewhere, outside of the HUD city that Asuna and her friends were in.  The particular spot looked vaguely familiar to Asuna but she couldn't pin point the exact location in her mind.  Although, her mind completely stopped as her eyes focused on what was next to Death Gun...or rather, who. Both of Kazuto's hands curled up into fists as soon as he caught glimpse of what Asuna had and he gritted his teeth in pure, unbridled anger.  Standing next to Death Gun was someone that both Asuna and Kirito knew very well.  The bloodthirsty leader of Laughing Coffin, the murder guild of SAO, wearing his signature black poncho and holding a red photon machete. It was POH.  The only thing that unsettled Asuna more than his reappearance was, who was on his knees, beneath him.  The ugly bandana that covered the man's forehead revealed to Asuna and her friends that it was Klein, who wasn't moving a muscle. This could have been due to some kind of status effect or  because POH's photon machete was held close to his throat.

"What the hell?" asked Agil, breaking the silence.  "How did they get Klein and what are they even going to do with him?  Killing him won't do anything but just make him respawn somewhere else."

"That's a good point," said Shino, still taking in what she was seeing as well.  "Still, something about this doesn't seem right." 

"You have to be shitting me," furiously muttered Kazuto, before he immediately left the lounge area.