Chapter 40: The End

"So, how have you been feeling, lately, Asuna?" asked the psychologist, beginning his appointment with the girl, sitting on the couch, in front of him.  "During our last appointment, you mentioned that you were seeing significant progress in regards to your fear of knives which I was very happy to hear.  You mentioned it was...because of a friend, correct?  A friend that was pushing you to try some exposure therapy just like she was with her trauma.  Has the exposure therapy still been working?"

"Friend."

Asuna repeated that single word in response to the psychologist's question, causing him to raise an eyebrow, in curiosity.  

"Is...there something the matter, Asuna?" 

Asuna closed her eyes for a second and sighed before shaking her head, no.

"It's...nothing.  To answer your question, my fear of knives is pretty much completely gone, now," claimed Asuna which resulted in the psychologist, smiling at her accomplishment.  

"That's great to hear!  I'm so happy that the exposure therapy worked so well for you.  You're going to have to thank that friend, who insisted that you give it a try, haha."

The psychologist observed that, once again, Asuna's expression turned grim, making him think that he must have said something to bother her.  Rather than ask her if something was wrong, again, he chose to change the topic.  

"You're...going on vacation in about a week, right?  Are you excited?"

Much to the psychologist's relief, the change in topic seemed to brighten Asuna's mood a bit.

"Yeah, I am...I've been wanting to visit my grandparent's cabin, again, for so long.  Not only that...so many people are going...my mom...my dad...my brother...Kirito...his family...and...even a special guest as well.  It's...always been a dream of mine to have a big family dinner at my grandparent's cabin with all of the people that I love...I, honestly, can't believe it's actually happening.  Well...not...everyone that I love is going to be there, I guess."

"Really?" questioned the psychologist, wanting to know more about Asuna's vague last statement.  "Who isn't going to be there?"

"Hm...a...really good friend...who's...had such an impact on my life, for better or worse," answered Asuna.  "I really wish...that she could be at the cabin with us all."

"Was this friend busy or something?" probed the psychologist, hoping to get some more information about this friend.

"Yeah, something like that.  Actually, I don't know if friend is the right word...I...consider her...more ...like the sister that I never had, as embarrassing as that sounds.  I know my grandparents would have really liked it if she was there at the cabin with everyone else."

"You seem troubled about your friend not attending but I hope you don't let it ruin the vacation for you," said the psychologist, empathetically.  

"Actually, I'm not too sad about it because I fully believe that, one day, this friend will be there at the cabin and then my dream can come all of the way true.  Having that hope...prevents me from having any despair...because...if I've learned anything, it's that despair can ruin a person's life.  That's why...I need to have double the amount of hope...because..."

Asuna paused, not finishing her sentence.

"Because?" 

"Because...I have...to have...enough hope...for the both of us," Asuna finished.  

*

*

*

At this point, maybe, I would benefit from some counseling as well? I thought to myself as I waited, patiently, for Asuna to finish with her psychologist appointment in the waiting room.