Chapter 8: GGO

"Today is the official launch of the newest VRMMORPG 'Gun Gale Online' which can be accessed from the Nerve Gear device," a news reporter said on a tv screen inside of a cafe. "The popularity of this genre of gaming has shot up, considerably, since the release of Aincrad Online and it should be no surprise that sales for 'Gun Gale Online' have far surpassed initial expectations.  Despite the game's already immense popularity, there are some residents of Japan, who still question the morality of using the Nerve Gear, after the horrific accident that happened with the initial launch of the video game titled 'Sword Art Online' which was created by Akihiko Kayaba. There's no denying all of the lives that were affected and lost by this tragic event.  However, it doesn't seem like this has affected sales or popularity of 'Gun Gale Online' in the slightest. We'll keep bringing you more updates on the game as the week goes on."

As soon as the reporter was finished talking about the game he had just purchased himself, Klein stopped looking at the tv and began looking at the girl, who was sitting in front of him, Kana, his ex-girlfriend. 

"I'm assuming you bought that one, huh?" asked Kana, noticing that Klein had taken an interest in the news report.

"Haha, yeah, Kirito and all of them wanted to give it a try so I figured why not?" Klein responded.   "Still, I'm a little nervous.  I don't have too much experience with shooters.  I'll probably be out there looking like a fool in comparison to the others but it's fine.  I'm old. Probably should just accept that."

Kana frowned at him and this made Klein worry that he said something wrong.

"I'm not too much younger than you, Klein.  Are you calling me old as well?"

"Haha, oh no...that's not what I meant at all," Klein defended. 

"Still, the fact that you're able to go back into that Nerve Gear after all that's happened to you...I don't know how you do it.  You were able to escape once with your life and hell, you were even lucky enough to come back alright after saving Asuna but you still can't help yourself, can you?"

"Yeah, I guess not," admitted Klein.  "It's weird but I don't even really play video games for the same reason that I used to."

"What do you mean?"

"These days, I only play because I like hanging out with the others.  Kirito, Asuna, Agil, Suguha and now Sinon...it helps me feel a bit less lonely.  I know I'm a bit older than most of them...hell, Agil is too but being able to keep up with them helps make me feel young still. Plus, age aside, they're the only real friends I've got at the moment, other than you.  At my age, I'm beginning to realize the importance of friends and being surrounded by people, who make you happy, rather than working myself to death all the time."

Kana smiled.

"It seems like those kids were able to accomplish something that I wasn't even able to," claimed Kana, sadly.  "The entire time that I was with you...I could tell that work was ruining your life and it frustrated me.  I wanted you to be happy.  I still do.  So, I'm really glad you're finally finding some in your life. Although, I have to ask."

"Hm?"

"You referred to me...as a friend...is that...all I am to you?"

"U-Uh...I mean, isn't that what you want to be, right now?" asked Klein, confused.  "Lord knows that, more than anything, I'd love to have you back in my life but I didn't think you were ready for that, yet."

"To be honest, I've been feeling more ready, lately.  To give us another chance.  I still want to take things slow, of course."

"Y-Yeah, for sure!"