Chapter Nine: Codes

Codes

===
Do you like my cookies?
They're made just for you!
A little bit of sugar... But lots of poison too.

===

You're weak.

"This one says, 'run'," Norman deciphered as he traced his finger over the bookplate, he frowned in concentration. Ray stood beside him, also reading the code carefully. The albino pointed at the next one.

"That one says 'doubt'." [Name] called, reading the message so quickly that it didn't give Norman a chance to decipher it himself, the boy tilted his head in confusion.

"Hey let me finish," he whined, a slight pout on his lips, the boy shook his head indignantly, she yawned while stretching her arms, a sly smirk on her face, Norman sighed and continued reading the bookplates.

"This one says 'danger' and this one says 'truth'."

Emma came back with two books, she let them drop softly on the table, the books landed with a small thud.

"What about these two?" she asked.

"These are 'harvest', and this one is.... 'monster', and finally
'farm'... This is-"

"It's a message from the outside, hidden from the adults and the demons, I think we can at least trust that." Ray concluded arms crossed, poker-faced as usual.

"At least?" Norman repeated.

"I tend to be more suspicious," he said, and patted Emma's head rather harshly, he ruffled her hair making her squeak, he then pulled a strand of her orange, the girl let out a yelp that Ray chose to ignore, "Unlike Emma, so yeah."

"It's possible this Minerva man could be an ally to us," [Name] added, her eyes set on Norman, he was looking down, reading one of the codes with a concentrated look on his face, his ocean eyes in a relaxed state, something the girl hasn't seen in a while.

"It is possible that this Minerva guy is an ally," [Name] admitted promptly. "But we don't know whether he's dead or alive."

"Exactly," agreed Ray "So we shouldn't get our hopes up too much."

"You're always so negative," Emma told Ray, as she pouted, the raven-nette rolled his eyes and proceeded to mock her, repeating what she said in a higher pitched childish voice, [Name] laughed, Emma huffed.

"William Minerva. This man is outside and knows about this farm, And while indirectly, he is trying to help us..." Norman said thoughtfully,

His three friends surrounded him as he sat down.

"That's right!"

"There's an ally on the outside, and he might still be out there, in that case then there could be a society of humans outside!"

"Exactly!" Emma exclaimed, she sat down, and grabbed a book, running through the pages.

"These messages are only in Minerva's books and it's exactly hard to tell when these labels were attached... But at least we know this one was attached after the year 2015."