Chapter 1 - The rogue

Chapter 1

The rogue

Xavier Jackson

Slamming the door shut, I make my way to my office, ignoring all the questions I get about my trip. I just want to be alone, right now. Coming home from Fire Rogue pack wasn't a success, at all. It was the last pack I hadn't looked. How is it possible that no pack in this fucking world has my mate? It means, that she's either a rogue, human or dead. My wolf, Chad, whimper at the thought of our mate being dead.

No, don't think about that, I scold myself. I refuse to think about my mate's death. She's not dead. She's out there, somewhere, and I won't stop looking, before I find her.

I sit down on my chair, as I look through the last paperwork, I have left. Someone knocks on the door, and I shout a come in without looking up. The door open and I look up when I hear Nick, my beta's, voice.

"We're going to the café, wanna tag along? We saw you come in and thought you might want something to eat, and maybe a little company"

I look between Nick and Jacob, my third in command. "I have some paperwork I need to finish"

"Come on Xav, you can finish the paperwork later." Jacob begs.

I groan and get up from my chair, "fine, maybe I could use a little to eat"

They both jump up and yell 'yes', while flapping their closed fists in the air, like the idiots they are. I can't help but laugh at them. They can always get me to laugh. I don't know what I would do without them.

I park the car on the café's large parking lot. We all get out of the car and walk into the café; Café mi amore. Jacob and I find a free table, while Nick orders our food.

"So how did it go?" Nick asks when he comes back from ordering.

"Not good. It was a waste of time. My mate wasn't in the pack, and the pack was filled with sluts, who threw themselves at me. It was disgusting how desperate they were, and Chad wasn't exactly happy about them clinging to us, when they weren't our mate. So, all in all, it was a horrible trip, as usual"

They exchange looks, pity shining in their eyes. God, how I hate that look. I hate being pitied. They both have their mate, and Nick has a little baby girl and Jacob is awaiting twins, two little boys.

"You will find her" Nick assure me.

I don't know if I believe that anymore. At first, I was so sure I would find my mate and I was so excited. But after searching for her for years, my hope slowly faded. I started looking for her about two and a half years ago, and are getting more and more skeptical.

"But let's not talk about that. How are things going here?" I ask changing the topic, not wanting to talk about me failing in finding my mate. I left Nick in charge of my pack, while I was gone.

A waiter comes over with our food, and Jacob says a quickly "thank you" before we begin to eat.

"Good, there hasn't been any trouble. There is a rogue roaming around, close to the border. We have been keeping an eye on it, but it doesn't do anything. It just wanders around. I don't think it's any threat" Nick tells me, his voice reflecting his slight worry. You can never be too sure when it involves rogues. Most of them are feral and insane.

It's quite strange. Rogues usually live in small groups. It's very uncommon for a rogue to survive on its own.

"Has it crossed the border?"

"No, and that's what's so confusing. It just walks around, but it hasn't made any move to cross the border"

Hmm, that's interesting.

"We'll just let it be, for now. As long as it isn't crossing the border, I don't see it as a threat." I say a little unsure. "But just continue to keep an eye on it. If anything happens contact me immediately!"

"Yes, of course, Alpha" Nick nods firmly.

When we're finished eating, we head home.

***

Slamming the door, I stalk to the pack house, with Jacob and Nick right behind me.

"Thanks, guys. This was just what I needed" I tell them, before we split up. I quickly make my way to my office, not even waiting on their response.

I groan deeply, as I sit down in my chair. More paperwork. It's not always good to be Alpha. I hate all the paperwork. Sometimes if Nick or Jacob has time, they help me with it, but with Nick's baby girl and Jacob's pregnant mate, they don't have as much time as they used to.

As I finish my last paperwork, I take a look at the clock on my phone and see it's 12 am. I rise from my chair and stretch my body with a yawn, before heading to bed. I strip down to my boxers and crawl under the covers. The second my head hits my soft pillow, I'm out like a light.