Chapter 17 - Make it right

Chapter 17

Make it right

Emily Wild

I wake up shivering and with a pounding headache. I look around the dimly lit room, hoping to see Xavier, but to my disappointment, he is nowhere to be found. I thought he was going to be here, like he always is, when I awake. His scent is still strong in the air, which tells me that he hasn't been gone for long. Maybe he just didn't want to see me, after what happened last night. I don't blame him. He must think I'm weak and pathetic, and unable to lead his pack at his side. Maybe he just hates me.

I know, that what I did, was selfish, and cowardly. He deserves better.

I still can't believe, I tried to take my own life. I'm Emily, the feared rogue leader, for heaven's sake, and here I am, breaking down like a weakling. I'm the strongest rogue in this world, and I couldn't stop myself from drowning myself in pity and sorrow. I really am pathetic, huh!?

Amanda makes herself known by snarling and yelling at me, <You're a selfish idiot! Did you for one second think about me, when you tried to drown yourself, huh!?>

I swallow the lump in my throat, as her words echo in my mind, taunting me. She is right, I'm a selfish idiot. I didn't think about her or our mate. Amanda has always been there for me, and I let her down. I completely ignored her plea, and instead did the worst thing I could do.

<Oh my god Manda, I'm so sorry. I'm gonna fulfill the promise I gave you, and give our mate a real chance. I will do better by you and him. I will never let you down, like this, again. I know you probably don't believe me, but I'm gonna make this right. I'll do whatever it takes. I know it's a lot to ask, but can you please find it in your heart to forgive me?> I beg her, praying that my stupid actions haven't ruined our relationship.

She sighs in defeat. <I don't really have that much of a choice, so yes, I'll forgive you, this one time, but if this ever happens again, I'll kick your ass> the promise in her voice is clear, and I can't help but chuckle a little.

<Wouldn't you be kicking your own ass then?> I grin, as I tease her.

She scoffs in annoyance, with a dramatic eye roll, as she grumbles under her breath, before taking her leave.

I shake my head with a sigh, and get out of bed. I take a quick shower, and get dressed, before leaving the apartment, or trying to, at least. Before I can take one step out of the bedroom, I'm stopped by the familiar guards.

"Where is Xavier?" I question them, when they keep standing in my way. My annoyance peaked a while ago, and I feel Amanda pushing for control. She doesn't like that they are standing in our way of getting to our mate, or challenging our authority.

The bigger one, is the first to speak, as he tells me that he's in his office, and that they have to accompany me, if I want to see him. I feel anger rush through me, but I ignore it as I tell him to lead the way, not wanting to argue with these brutes.

We stop outside of a large wooden door, as they place themselves on both sides of the door. I glance between them and the door, before knocking. I walk in, when I hear my mates gruff voice. Xavier is sitting at his desk, paperwork is scattered everywhere, as his eyes scan the papers in front of him. I clear my throat, which seems to get his attention, as his head snap up. Our eyes connect, and he sends me one of his killer smiles, making a breath, I didn't know I was holding, escape my mouth. He doesn't seem mad at me, which I'm very thankful for.

I give him an unsure smile, "I wanted to thank you for saving my life, and apologize for my selfish actions. You're not a horrible mate, I am! I shouldn't have done what I did. It was selfish and cowardly. I really hope you can forgive me, and are willing to give me another chance at being your mate. I want this relationship to work, more than you know"

"I want this to work too, more than you'll ever know, and you don't have to apologize. I had no idea, that you were hurting so much, and as your mate, I should have known. But I hope you trust me enough to come to me, if you need anything. I know it must be hard for you, especially since you are used to being on your own, but no matter what, I'm your mate, and I'll always be there for you." His voice shows his sincerity, as the love he feels for me, shine bright in his eyes.

I feel my own eyes get filled with tears, the longer I hold his intense stare. I glance at the floor for a minute, and blink away the tears. I look up at him again, and send him a smile, as warmth fill my chest at his words. I've never had anyone, who cared about me, like he does. Well, except Amanda, but she didn't really have a choice. She's been stuck with me, from the beginning.

To feel this warmth spread from my heart throughout my body, is a foreign feeling, but not an uncomfortable feeling. I actually think, I like it. I guess, I've always wondered, if anyone was capable of loving someone like me, after all, I am just a cold-hearted rogue, with no family, or friends. Maybe I am loveable, who knows.

I don't know what came over me, but I ran to him, and jumped in his arms, surprising him greatly. I can't help but laugh quietly, at his shocked expression. I cling to him like a koala bear, and it doesn't take long before I feel his muscular arms tighten around my small frame. His large hands, are gripping my narrow waist in an almost bruising grip. He let his head fall to the top of my neck, as he inhales my scent.

I bury my face in his neck, and oh goodness, he smells amazing. I finally understand why mates do this all the time. His scent ingulf me, and wrap me in a blurry comforting warmth. All the tension leaves my tired limps, and all the thoughts running through my head, just vanish, and for the first time in my life, I feel peace wash over me, and consume my being.