𝟎𝟒 | 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

"I like the storms,
they let me know that
even the sky screams sometimes..."

Z A Y N A -

Zayna was getting her dress from the closet when she heard the door bell. Her heart started to beat out of her chest, she knew who it was. Still in her night dress, she ran to her huge french window and looked out to the porche. Her eyes encountered with a weirdly heart melting scene. She saw a man, maybe in his late twenties whose back was facing her as he was helping his grandmother in the wheelchair.

Even from afar, she could notice how gentle and caring he was with her. She didn't know why, but that gesture melted her heart. She always heard her grandfather say, 'if you want to know how someone truly is, look how they treat those who can't give them anything in return.' She believed it was true. But she quickly shook her head, that was not possible, a mafia man could never have a heart. They are ruthless people like her father.

Just as she was about to close the curtains, her eyes met a pair of oddly familiar grey ones. She hurried to close the curtains with a thumping heart.

"Veer bhai, Abbas bhai, Maa ! Faraz uncle and his family are here." She heard Shahnoor's voice echoing in the Malik mansion. She clutched the dress in her hands. She could hear faint voices so she hurried in the bathroom to change.

She changed into an elegant black anarkali. She applied some lipgloss, pink blush on her plump cheekbones, some mascara on her long eyelashes and when she was about to apply the last coat of khôl, Shahnoor entered her room.

"Come, it's time to show you like an antic piece in a museum." Shahnoor rolled her eyes. She was already annoyed.

Zayna nodded as she finished to apply the khôl. Shahnoor wrapped her arm around Zayna's elbow and kissed her cheek. "You look pretty, but not more than me." She winked while Zayna just rolled her eyes with small smile.

They both went downstairs and Shahnoor left Zayna's arm. "Oh Zayna, it's been long. You've turned a beautiful woman." Zafira said as she cupped her face.

Zayna just awkwardly smiled at her not knowing what to say or do. Zafira held her hand and made her sit beside her, across her brothers and Azhar. She prayed that Allah makes thing easier for her. Zafira and Afreen started their usual conversation while Zayna sat there listening to them quietly, that's when she noticed Azhar's grandmother sitting on her wheelchair looking around.

She felt bad for the old woman who was probably feeling left out. So she decided to sit beside her and talk to her. "As-salamu alaykum, Ami jaan." She smiled at the elderly who seemed surprised.

"Wa'alaykum assalam, kesi ho ?" The elder lady caressed her head with her weak hands and asked.

"Jee, mein thik hon, aur app ?" Ami jaan smiled in return and responded with an 'Al Hamdouli'Allah' faintly.

"You've changed, you look more mature than before. What is it ?" Ami jaan asked.

"Maturity comes from experience, Ami jaan not from age. I've had my share of experiences I guess." Zayna shrugged and choose to change the topic before Ami jaan could ask anything further. "What is your secret? You still look beautiful and young !"

Ami jaan chuckled. "I am not young anymore, can't you see that wheelchair ?" She tried to hide the pain in her voice but Zayna could see it.