Chapter 5

Satoko awoke almost buzzing with excitement, a holiday with Rika would be the best thing to possibly happen and it was really happening. Satoko couldn't quite believe it. Her excitement was quickly quelled and replaced by the strangling sensation of anxiety when she realised her and Rika's futon was cold and Satoko was the only one within it. She felt her chest begin to tighten and her airways begin to close as she let out a choked cry. "Rika?" Satoko didn't know if a response came, she could hear nothing but her own heartbeat pounding in her ears. She gripped her chest as though it was her only lifeline as she choked out fearful whimpers. The room seemed to expand around her into an empty, lonely expanse, she was out in the open and all alone. Satoko curled in on herself tensing every muscle in her body so hard they began to cramp, she couldn't breath, was her heart even beating? Where was Rika? Her lifeline, her support, her only comfort.
There was a sudden impact taking Satoko onto her back and she was about to break down completely before realising she was wrapped in a warm embrace. She pried open her eyes, that she didn't even realise were shut, to the sight of that comforting blue. She took a deep breath, Rika's scent tangling with the air as she inhaled. A warmth spread through Satoko as her breathing came back and her heart rate slowed. The fuzzy noises surrounding her began to reform into reality and she heard Rika's voice, soft and loving. "It's okay, Satoko... It's okay... You'll be alright... Shhhh..."
Satoko let out a choked sob at Rika's words of comfort, they always reached deep within her damaged heart. She was so greatful to have Rika's comfort but hated herself more than anything for being such a burden, she couldn't even handle being left alone for too long anymore... She hated it, she hated it, she hated it! Why was she such a broken mess? She nuzzled her face into Rika's warmth trying to ground herself in reality and block out her thoughts of self hatred, but they just kept coming.
Satoko felt Rika's hand running over her hair softly making her feel a little giddy with her love for Rika. "I've got you, Satoko..." Rika whispered directly into Satoko's ear making her almost pass out from being flustered.
"Th-tha-thank you..." Satoko managed to stutter out her hands starting to shake.
Rika giggled softly making Satoko blush at the sweet sound. "You don't need to worry... I know how hard you have it... Anyway... Shall we get ready to go?" Excitement crept into Rika's voice on the last line, she was clearly equally excited as Satoko was.
Satoko nodded enthusiasticly jumping up from Rika's arms and Rika chuckled getting up a little slower than Satoko. They both got dressed and quickly packed some food for the two of them before leaving their home and locking it up. They left the house hand in hand as though they were making sure the other didn't run off out of excitement, well, that's what Rika was doing, Satoko was just enjoying the contact.
Shortly, Mion pulled up in her usual white truck waving to Satoko and Rika, Rika climbed into the back of the truck throwing her suitcase on the floor and Satoko took one last loving gaze at the house, she wouldn't be gone for long but leaving it always felt heartbreaking. Satoko soon followed sitting on the back seat next to Rika as close as she could get, she knew it was going to be a long journey and wanted to get comfortable. Rika smiled at Satoko taking her hand and resting it on her lap.
Meanwhile Mion watched from the mirror with a single eyebrow raised. "You know there are three seats back there? You two don't need to sit so cramped together."
"We know! Satoko just wanted to be close, Niipaa!" Rika shot a smirk at Satoko.
Satoko quickly became a blushing mess "Rikaaaa! Don't embarrass me like that!"
Rika softly pet Satoko's hair. "You're not denying it..."
"Alright, you two better not flirt the whole way, or you're walking." Mion interjected faking annoyance, in actual fact, she was very amused by the two.
"We won't!" Rika giggled.
"Hey! Who said we were flirting?" Satoko yelled blushing heavily.
Both Rika and Mion laughed at this making Satoko feel slightly agitated, she always felt like the butt of the joke.
Rika must have noticed Satoko's face as she began softly caressing her thumb over Satoko's knuckle. Satoko blushed heavily at the action and leaned against Rika feeling too flustered to know how to act.
"You two know I'm still here, right?" Mion let out an amused chuckle. "The rest of the club'll be hearing about this!"
Satoko let out a whine "Start driving and stop being mean!"
Mion chuckled starting the engine. "Alright! Let's get there while we still have daylight! It's a long travel so you two better not misbehave!"
"Hey! We're not kids anymore!" Satoko snapped at Mion "You're not even much older than us either!"
Rika placed an arm around Satoko's shoulder "Shhhh, Satoko, don't start a fight with the one driving!" She whispered.
Mion chuckled giving the two a quick glance and mumbling under her breath "Rena's gonna love this..."
"Mion! Stop threatening to tell people! You'll make it sound weird!" Satoko squealed writhing a bit it Rika grip which was now tightened so Satoko didn't strangle Mion.
"I can almost hear the screaming of 'they're so kyuteeee!' and 'I wanna take them home!' not to mention everyone is gonna have plenty of questions!" Mion taunted.
Satoko whined in an almost sickly manner "That's gonna be social murder!"
Mion smirked "Oh yeah, it will be!" She glanced in the mirror noticing Satoko's expression was one of dread not just slight annoyance, she looked physically sick, meanwhile Satoko felt quite simular to how she looked, dread was bubbling in her stomach, people would hate her if they knew she was a lesbian, what would Rika think? Would they never cuddle again?
It seemed Mion and Rika had both noticed the reaction as Rika began rubbing Satoko's shoulder and looked as though she wanted to say something but Mion beat her to it.
"Nobody's gonna judge or hate either of you for acting a bit queer, nobody in the club would ever dislike you two, even if you do turn out to be uh- homosexuals!"
Rika gave Satoko a reassuring smile she looked as though she wanted to say something to Satoko but didn't know what. Satoko gave Rika an awkward smile she hoped wasn't too telling and Rika took her hand resting her head on Satoko's shoulder. Satoko rested her head upon Rika's hesitantly. She was being silly, Rika wouldn't hate her for such a thing as being gay. They were too close for that to ever happen.

Satoko was stirred from a slumber she didn't even realise she had fallen into by Rika softly poking her cheek and whispering "Satoko..." extending the last o of Satoko's name.
Satoko opened her eyes grumbling to notice their scenery had drastically changed, the van was surrounded by towering, lush, green trees as it rumbled through the forest, they must be close.
Satoko leaned over Rika to press her face to the window excitedly taking in the scenery "Woahhh! Rika, look at the trees!" Satoko exclaimed her excitement threatening to explode out of her at any moment.
Rika chuckled petting Satoko's hair. "Yeah, I've seen them. They're awesome!"
Satoko was amazed at the scenery around her "It's so different from Hinamizawa!"
Rika grinned widely after Satoko spoke those words "Isn't it just..?"

AN: Ayyoooooo finally finished this chapter! I have no clue why I pent so long on it- anyway, I've got plenty of events planned ahead so stay tuned! I'll see y'all in the next chapter!