Chapter 28

There was a moment of silence as the two sat sipping their drinks and leaning against each other.
It was a very pleasant atmosphere, the warm sun shining on the river, the cold drinks, the feeling of Rika leaning against Satoko as they both watched the water flow.
The moment brought great happiness to Satoko, it reminded her of how much joy there could be found in small things, often over looked.
Satoko glanced at Rika and their eyes met as Rika had been staring at her.
Satoko gave a bit of a lopsided, flustered smile.
Rika smiled back, finishing her wine and placing her glass down. "You done with your beer?"
Satoko nodded chuckling the empty bottle back into the cooler. "Yep, all done!" She hiccupped a little.
Rika tried to catch the bottle but failed and winced a little as it landed in the cooler with the sound of glass hitting glass. "Be careful with that! There are still drinks in the cooler!" Rika couldn't help but chuckle at Satoko's careless behaviour.
Satoko felt a little pit begin to form in her stomach. "S-sorry!"
Rika softly pet Satoko on the head and chuckled. "It's okay, dear."
"O-oh..." Satoko felt herself blushing a little at Rika's behaviour, such small actions shouldn't be able to fluster Satoko so much...
Rika quickly got to her feet, packing up the cooler and lifting it in a bag. "Let's get going, shall we?"
Satoko got up and fussed over the bag a little. "Rika, that looks pretty heavy, I can carry it!"
Rika shook her head. "No, no, no! Today is me treating you!" She booped Satoko on the nose and chuckled at her flustered response.
The two began walking, Satoko was curious as to where they were going, they didn't seem to be going home and they weren't walking towards anything interesting in Hinamizawa.
She eventually gave in to her curiosity and asked. "Where are we going?"
Rika just chuckled and spoke in a playful tone. "Patience!"
Satoko pouted and sighed "Fiiiiiine!"
Eventually they arrived at the train station, where were they going..?
They caught the next train and sat across from eachother at one of the seats that had a table.
Satoko stared out the window in awe at the passing scenery. "Are we going somewhere far..?" She turned to Rika tilting her head.
Rika had an expression that looked like she was trying her very best not to give away where they were going. "I suppose so." She had a little excited smile on her face.
"Wow, you're really not giving anything away, huh?" Satoko leaned back in her seat staring at Rika.
Rika laughed and leaned forward to pat Satoko on the head, perhaps in a little too much of a condescending manor. "Nope, I'm not!"
Satoko gave Rika an agitated glare at Rika's overly condescending behaviour.
Rika chuckled retracting her hand "Sorry, sorry."
Soon the train reached a stop and Rika stood up, picking up the bag, so Satoko followed.
When they stepped out of the station they found themselves in a busy city.
Rika linked her free arm with Satoko's and started moving forward. "Stay connected so you don't get lost, okay?"
They weaved through the crowd, which was a little scary, until Rika stopped in front of what looked to be a small cafe.
Satoko raised a brow, did they really come all this way for a cafe? Satoko, however, decided to say nothing.
Despite this, Rika must have noticed the expression on Satoko's face. "It's not just an ordinary cafe." She took Satoko's hand and pulled her in. "Come on."
As they entered the cafe Satoko noticed various runways and small climbing towers around the room, seemingly for cats.
Indeed, they were for cats, Satoko felt something rub against her leg and looked down to see an orange tabby, Satoko crouched down to pet the cat as it meowed at her. "Awwwhh~!"
Soon a black cat, a little smaller than the orange one, but not by much, ran up to them, nuzzling the orange cat before meowing at Satoko,  who began to pet that one too, chuckling. "These are some affectionate cats, huh?"
Rika nodded "Very."
Are light brown cat ran up to Satoko, followed by a light gray one, which was followed by another, almost identical light grey one, then a dark brown tabby ran up and finally a white cat ran up. At this point Satoko was feeling a little overwhelmed by all the cats "Uh- this is a lot of kitties-"
Rika laughed at Satoko's panicked expression at being swarmed by cats. "You okay, Satoko?"
Satoko was now sat on the floor surrounded by cats that were climbing on her and meowing at her. "W-why are they only targeting me?" Satoko said in a panicked tone.
"I've told them all a lot about you, they must be excited to finally meet you."
More cats swarmed Satoko pushing her over and burying her in a pile of cats. "Ahh! Rika! Help me!"
Soon a relatively tall woman with long brown hair entered the room, speaking in a soft, amused tone. "Alright, you guys. Don't torment the new guest!"
With this the cats slowly began to disperse from Satoko spreading out around the building.
Satoko was left lying on her back, covered in cat fur, with the orange cat and the black cat still curled up on her stomach. "Wuh- what happened? Am I dead?" Satoko was dazed.
Eventually the two cats left got off Satoko and went off to one of the little towers together.
Satoko sat up looking confused. "So many cats... too many cats..."
Rika chuckled, helping Satoko to her feet and brushing her off a little. "Yeah, they did that to me the first time I came here."
Satoko chuckled a little. "Those cats must be out of their minds."
Rika nodded. "They're a little weird, sure, but not insane."
Rika led Satoko to a table in the room and they sat down together. "Anyway, this is a cafe, we should probably treat it as such."

AN: someone please tell me they understood who all the cats were- anywho, hope you enjoyed! See you in the next chapter!