chapter 30

Satoko yawned awakening still on the roof with Rika, the two of them huddled under the blankets, Rika was already awake and was just staring at the night sky. "Rika..? You okay? You look glum..." Satoko found herself muttering in a timid tone.
Rika glanced at Satoko the skin around Rika's eyes was a little red like she'd been crying, which struck Satoko with worry. "Yeah, it's nothing to worry about, just admiring the stars!"
Normally the stars were a relaxing sight to Satoko, but in this moment they felt like they were baring down on her and Rika, making Satoko's chest hurt and making her short of breath. "R-really? Because-"
"YES, REALLY!"
There was a moment of silence between the two Satoko's chest hurt, Rika never raises her voice... Satoko's breath went rapid and she went to her default response to anger "S-sorry! I'm so sorry! I-I shouldn't have pushed you, I'm sorry!"
Rika seemed horrified with herself for a moment, knowing how Satoko responds to anger, "I... We should get you back to the hospital, Satoko."
Rika got to her feet, she seemed shaky which only increased Satoko's worrying, this wasn't normal for Rika... It was scary...
Satoko got to her feet, following Rika.

They barely talked on the walk back to the hospital aside from the odd phrase like "I hope we can see eachother again soon" and "We should get everyone together soon"
Other than that they walked in a silence that seemed to hold something heavy and dark that Satoko couldn't quite identify.

They got back to the hospital and for the first time, Satoko was glad a moment with Rika was over, though, feeling that filled Satoko with immense guilt.
Rika stood at the door of Satoko's room, Satoko just inside.
"I'll see you soon, okay?" Rika's voice cracked.
"Okay..." Satoko's throat felt dry.
Rika gave Satoko a quick peck on the lips before leaving.
Satoko just stood there, in the centre of her hospital room, no lights on, just the cold light of the moon filling a portion of the room, making Satoko shiver.
What was Rika upset about? Why did being prompted to share it make her angry?
Satoko felt her heart racing, she broke out in a cold sweat, a powerful sickness sinking into her stomach... Was it Satoko's fault?
Satoko walked over to her bed and sat upon it, how could she possibly try to fix it if Rika was so against sharing the problem?
Was Satoko's state making Rika not want to tell? Was Satoko's current state the issue?
That might be it... Satoko couldn't do such a reckless thing as what she did and not expect it to affect others, right? Even in trying to unburden others she had increased their burden... This wasn't good... Satoko didn't know how to undo this so she found herself spending the night spiraling into her own thoughts.

Because of this Satoko slept very late and was awoken by a hand on her cheek, she opened her eyes slowly, the hand was soft... She saw Rika peering over her with a worried face
Rika spoke "Satoko... Goodmorning... It's okay..."
Rika's voice had a soft, caring tone to it which confused Satoko "Rika.."
"Listen.. Satoko..." Rika's voice stayed soft like feathers "I'm sorry for raising my voice yesterday... I didn't mean to.. I've just been... Very worried about you lately. You know I just can't lose you, Satoko..."
Satoko felt the corners of her eyes stinging as she tried her best to hold back tears but it was proving very difficult with the way Rika looked down at Satoko with eyes filled with an almost desperate sense of love, it made a simular feeling bubble in Satoko's chest. "R-Rika.... I... I really can't lose you either... I need... To be as close to you as I can... I... I promise you... I can't stand the thought of dying anymore... Because ot means being... Ripped away from you..."
Rika let out a weak whimper like sound at Satoko's words before tears started streaming from her eyes and dripping onto Satoko's face. Rika hoisted herself up onto Satoko's bed and shuffled under to covers wrapping her arms around Satoko and lifting her top half a little. "Oh, come here... My precious Satoko..." Rika held Satoko's head to her chest, stroking Satoko's hair and rocking back and forth while letting out faint sobs.
Satoko let out a shaky breath, swallowing hard to push down her tear, she wrapped her arms tight around Rika's waist muttering faintly "Rika... I-I love you... C-can we agree to never be seperated again..? P-please?" Satoko's voice was meek and timid, it sounded utterly helpless, it made Satoko feel a little pathetic...
"Oh..! Of course! Of course! We can be together forever, D-dont worry about a thing!" Rika's voice sounded like she was worrying about a lot even while telling Satoko not to worry about anything, Rika rocked back and forth and kept placing soft kisses on the top of Satoko's head.
Satoko held on to Rika tighter, squeezing as hard as she could, which made Rika let out a yelp before kissing Satoko again on the top of the head. Satoko tilted her face up, wanting Rika to kiss her on the lips too.
Rika paused as she saw this before moving her hands to either side of Satoko's face, squeezing Satoko's chubby cheeks slightly before giving her kiss on the forehead and then the nose.
Satoko blushed at this trying her best to keep eye contact with Rika, even so, it faltered a lot. Satoko made a little whine and pouted wanting to express that she wanted a kiss one the lips but was too shy to express it directly.
Rika smiled with growing smugness at this, making Satoko feel even more shy as Rika cleared her throat "What was that? Why are you whining at me like a dog? Come on, love.. Use your words..!"
Satoko pouted at Rika's patronising words. "Kiss... On the lips..."
Rika giggled, leaning in to place a slow, gentle kiss to Satoko's lips, making Satoko's heart flutter...

AN: Sorry for such a late update hhhhh. Hope you enjoyed see you in the next chapter!