chapter 22

Satoko squirmed a little under Rika's gaze, how could Rika behave in such an embarrassing manner and be unfazed by it? "U-uhm, I'm gonna go back to my room now... I shouldn't be outside of it for this long the doctors and nurses will get mad..."
"I'm coming too!" Rika announced latching onto Satoko's arm.
Satoko jumped a little, blushing. "You can't... Visitors aren't allowed at this time."
Rika looked shocked. "Satoko..." her expression shifted to smugness. "I never thought I'd see the day you decided to play by the rules!"
"I'm not!" Satoko yelled blushing heavily and feeling humiliated. "I'm just scared of the nurses..."
Rika raised a brow before chuckling and gripping onto Satoko's arm tighter. "Don't worry! I'll protect you!" Rika gave Satoko a goofy smile.
Satoko felt her heart flutter. Rika really was so wonderful. "Th-thank you..." Satoko looked down timidly.
"Let's head to your room, I'm tired and want my pillow back!" Rika tugged Satoko along the hallway. "Our bed at home just doesn't feel right without you so I'll be staying here until they discharge you!"
Satoko dug her fang into her lip, something about Rika felt a little forced... Even so, her actions showed care, that she didn't want to confront and possibly upset Satoko.

Soon they reached Satoko's room and Rika finally let herself detach from Satoko's arm.
Satoko let out a yawn climbing into her bed as Rika shortly followed.
Rika snuggled right into Satoko's side and lay her head on her chest. "Much better~"
Satoko blushed heavily, stroking Rika's hair with her functional hand.
Suddenly Rika grabbed Satoko's other arm bringing it closer to her to kiss it softly.
Satoko winced as Rika's hand pressed against her injured arm. "Ah! Rika, careful!"
Rika quickly let go looking horrified. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay? Did that hurt?"
Satoko nuzzled into Rika a little. "It's okay... You didn't do it on purpose. Just please try to be careful."
Rika gave Satoko a quick kiss. "Alright. I'm just so excited to have you back, I haven't been able to show you affection in ages so it all built up..."
Satoko found herself becoming flustered, Rika wanted to show her affection that bad? It seemed Rika really did like Satoko a lot and her insecurities were unjustified. "O-oh..."
Rika snuggled closely into Satoko chuckling at how flustered she was. "Satoko..?" Rika asked quietly.
Satoko yawned a little playing with Rika's hair with her functional hand while Rika gently held her non functional one. "Yeah?"
"You need a shower" Rika giggled.
Satoko blushed in embarrassment. "Hey, cut me some slack! I just came out of a coma!"
Rika laughed playfully grinning at Satoko. "Alright, alright! You really should have a shower or something tomorrow, though."
Satoko spoke loudly in an agitated tone. "Okay! Message received! You can shut up about it now!"
"You really shou-"
Satoko cut Rika off "I swear to god, I will push you out of this bed!"
"You wouldn't! You love me too much!" Rika giggled.
Satoko sighed. "You're not even supposed to be here, if the nurses catch you they'll-"
"Tell me to leave?" Rika sounded a little more serious. "I'm not spending another night without you, Satoko. I need you back beside me. I'm not gonna stop doing this until you can come home, okay?"
Satoko nodded and smiled a little. Rika was so sweet. "Okay... Don't get yourself barred from the hospital..."
"Satoko, I don't think they're allowed to bar people, it's a hospital." Rika looked unimpressed.
"Oh..." Satoko breathed. "That would make a lot of sense..."
Rika chuckled giving Satoko a playful tap on the shoulder before softly kissing her on the lips. "It's time we slept, now. Good night..." Rika yawned and snuggled into Satoko's chest and closing her eyes.
Satoko smiled down at Rika before softly closing her own eyes.

The red river that seemed to flow from her arm...

The intense, sickening pain...

The anger...

The sadness...

Rika's distraught, sobbing face...

The regret...

These gruesome and grotesque flashes of memories dissappeared from Satoko as soon as they appeared and she awoke gasping and panting painfully for air.
She could hear herself weeding and feel the warm streams of tears running down her face.
Her blurry vision met with Rika's face, who was staring into Satoko's eyes and holding her face still gently hushing her.
"Rika..." Satoko whimpered quietly.
"I'm here." Rika spoke softly kissing Satoko on the forehead.
"Rika!" Satoko wailed clinging onto Rika.
Satoko cried and shook for hours as Rika gently held her, stroking her hair, kissing her forehead and murmuring softly to her, things like "It's okay.", "I've got you" and "You'll be okay".
Eventually Satoko had managed to cry off her distress from the dream that had forced her to relive the horrible actions she took that put her in this hospital and was able to form proper words. "I'm sorry, Rika... I didn't mean to melt down like that."
"It's okay..." Rika hushed Satoko. "It'll take you some time to heal from that, mentally. It must have been very traumatic." Rika softly stroked Satoko's hair.
"Thank you, Rika, thank so much for caring this much about me and helping me this much." Satoko started wiping the tears from her face as she sniffled a little bit.
"That's okay, Satoko." Rika softly kissed Satoko. "I love you and I want to do everything I can to help you out. I want to help you be happy and healthy. So don't ever feel guilty for showing your emotions in front of me. If you're upset I'd rather you got it out than let it build up and only hurt you more, you hear me?"
Satoko nodded blushing a little. Rika was much too kind and much too thoughtful, she simply did too much for Satoko. "Thank you..."
"Now, get some sleep, it may be hard because of the dream I can only assume you were having but you need to get some sleep. I'm sure your dreams will be sweeter this time."
Satoko nodded yawning. "Can I use you as a pillow now, Rika?" she asked shyly.
Rika shifted onto her back. "of course!"
Satoko lay her head on Rika's chest and wrapped her arms around her waist. "Good night..."
Rika started gently playing with Satoko's hair soothing her into slumber. "Goodnight, my love."

AN: Sorry my updates have been off time, I got covid, aha- hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next!