Chapter 13: Company

You put your hands together and take a deep breath; your fingers fumble around with one another nervously as you thought to yourself. The fluffy haired boy stared at you with bright anticipation. Your eyes darted around the city while the crowds behind you two continued to bounce around wildly. You noticed that all the women around you were staring at Alex hungrily and whispering amongst themselves. He was, as mentioned many times before, a truly beautiful creation. Maybe even a little too beautiful to be a creature of Earth, you thought to yourself.

It was no wonder that people thought he was so lovely. He is a truly kind person and on top of that, he looks like a Greek god.

"A-are you sure you'd want to be seen with a plain Jane like me?", you mumbled anxiously as the stares burned into your back.

"Plain Jane? I think you're a lovely person, [y/n].", he says as he grabs your hand, "Let's go then! Where are you heading off to?".

You walk with Alex in complete silence. You decided to walk a little farther behind him so that you could secretly admire his features as he focuses on navigating you safely through the crowds. He had a very sculpted jawline, no stubble from a beard; maybe he couldn't grow one? His hair was slightly longer, like Cain's, but a light, wavy brown. It curled in all the right places, and his eyes; they were welcoming.

You both walk into the first store, the air inside brushing against your skin sharply. It was nice and chilly inside, contrasting the outside's warmer weather nicely. Alex looks behind at you with a slight smile.

"What exactly are you shopping for today then?", he says cheerfully. He looks around in awe at everything and appears to be more excited than you.

"I'm just shopping for my apartment, I was thinking of some plants and other decor to fill my plain room up with.", you stutter to Alex watching him gleefully look around at everything the store was selling. You thought it was adorable.

"Oh [y/n]!!", he shouts suddenly. He suddenly runs over to one of the shelves and points with a huge grin on his face.

"Huh-?"

It was a cute, small little frog statue. It had a huge, blush smile and bright eyes. It looked like it was made out of clay, and hand painted.

"This is absolutely adorable! I love it!", Alex exclaims as he picks it up to admire it more closely.

"I've never seen anything like this before, I love little frogs like this!", he continues, and then suddenly blushes and looks away from you. "Ah, I've embarrassed myself, haven't I? Haha..", he mumbles awkwardly.

You slowly reach out and take the frog statue from him and smile kindly. you hold it gently with both hands and stare down at it, but emotions had suddenly taken over you and your eyes started welling up with tears. the back of your throat began to burn as you tried to hold back the oncoming tears, but it was no use.

"Ah- oh no.", you whisper as the tears drip down your eyelids onto the tiny little frog you held.

"[Y/n]..?", Alex says softly as he rests his hand on your shoulder. He shakes you slightly to get your attention as you stared at the frog contently.

"S-sorry. It's just that I'm so happy right now I just couldn't help but cry. This is the first time someone has ever spent time with me like this and your excitement is overwhelming me. I didn't think anyone could possibly enjoy my company..", you sobbed quietly.

Alex stares at you for a moment before speaking.

"[Y/n], who's Cain?", he says sternly.

You look at him in confusion and see that his once soft gaze was now deathly serious. You step back slightly, gripping the frog statue tightly as he stared bullets through your soft flesh.

"He's m-my roommate I told you about that one time at the restaurant-", you cough out nervously, but Alex's brow only furrows deeper into his forehead.

But suddenly his gaze widens and he is now looking over your shoulder. His green eyes stare shocked, and amazed.

"I'm Cain. Who is this my love?", says a deep, dark voice coming from directly behind you. The sound sent cold shivers down your spine. You suddenly feel a large, boney hand grab you and pull you into a half embrace. Your cheeks burn up as you look up to see the demon himself, Cain, decides to show up after days of not being around. Your breasts were pressed against his ribs as he grips your lower back angrily. You can see him smirk deviously at Alex.

"[Y/n] you didn't tell me-", he coughs out.

You felt your blood run cold as Alex fumbled over his words.

"You need to get away from that man right now, he is too dangerous!", Alex yells, calling attention to you both. Everyone in the store starts to stare at you three, and Cain very much enjoys the frustration seeping from Alex.

"W-what do you mean Alex-? This is just my roommate!", you shout back gently as cold sweat starts beading up against your hairline. Your heart was pounding against your ribcage aggressively as Alex panics.

"That isn't your roommate, that's the devil!", He screams angrily and grabs your arm, pulling you away quickly and running with you as fast as possible. You could hear Cain burst out into a maniacle laughter as you were being drug along by Alex right out of the store, tripping over your feet as he moved unreasonably fast.

"Alex I can't leave, I need to go back! Now!", you panic, trying to tug away.

"You can't go back! This is so much worse than I thought..", he groans, pulling you behind the building you were just in only a moment ago. Did you really manage to run that fast? You were still holding the little frog tightly in your left hand as Alex pulled your right.

"Worse than you thought? What is going on here? Why do you know about Cain?", you said confused, finally tugging your arm free from his string grip, but Alex pins you up against the hot, stone wall before you could walk away from him. His eyes stare you down hungrily. Your fingers loosen around the little statue barely, but you made sure to hold onto it. You stare back into his eyes with hot cheeks and start to glare at him.

"Please, what is going on here..?", you said with a shaky voice. His gaze finally softens and he looks at you with a strained expression.

"I can't tell you, [y/n]-", Alex moans before getting cut off suddenly by a cold voice.

"But I can~"