Chapter 18: Urgent

You look at Cain who is solemnly staring out your dainty, dark window. He holds his hands behind his back, fumbling gently with his slender hands. His fingers were dangling gracefully downwards as he took in the view of the moon. You admired how the lighting hit Cain so perfectly for a moment. His face was so lovely, you thought.

"Every now and then a human like you is born, my love. Your energy is highly concentrated, producing far more than even the angels know what to do with.", Cain says with a hefty sigh. His eyes peek over to you, but he does not turn his head to look to your tiny body. You feel a cold shiver run down your spine, leaving an icy feeling behind.

"This kind of human is especially desired amongst angels and demons as their energy lasts their whole lifetime. These humans also usually.. Well..", Cain stops speaking for a moment, his breathing shaking slightly.

"They usually what? You're scaring me, Cain.", you said with a nervous quiver in your voice. Your hands trembled slightly. You chose to cross your arms to hide the weakness radiating from them.

Cain slowly turns his body to yours, he releases his hands from behind his back and clenches his fists. He appears visibly upset; he begins to grind his teeth together out of frustration.

"These humans usually have the opportunity to serve the angels and become one themselves after they die. But, their life spans are much shorter than the average human. Meaning, you already don't have much time left.", Cain says, his animalistic eyes gazing desperately at you for a response to his words. They were beaming the softest yellow you've ever seen.

"I-I'm going to die soon? I'm going to be an angel?", you cough out. In that moment you thought of Alex. Your heart started to race out of your chest; the blood in you veins went hot as you thought about the endless possibilities of this notion Cain was explaining so sadly to you. This seemed like a good, no, great thing to you actually.

You thought of this as a second chance at life. Perhaps, finally you and Alex could get to know one another without anything holding you back. If you were an angel, you would be able to see Alex as much as you wanted. But, more importantly, you wouldn't have to deal with Cain anymore. He wouldn't be able to bother you, and that sounded both delightful and depressing.

Maybe, you thought, you were suffering from stockholm syndrome. Maybe you were already slightly driven to insanity from his abuse, but the thought of never seeing Cain again actually sent a dull pain pulsating through your heart. The kind of pain that didn't hurt too bad, but was annoying to feel. A soft, constant pain.

"Join me.", Cain says, snapping you out of your romantic day dream.

"Join y— No way in hell!", you yell. Your brows furrowed deeply into your forehead with annoyance. How could he suddenly just suggest that after all he's done to you. As if you'd happily follow him to hell like his little lap dog. Cain takes a step towards you with a serious look on his face. You flinch backward slightly, but stand your ground with your chest slightly puffed.

"My love.. You would look so much better with horns. You don't need wings, you need me.", Cain whispers to you softly, lifting his hand out to you. His palm was turned upward to the pale ceiling, an invitation for you to grab ahold. You could feel your stomach start to tingle; there was a strange feeling in the room. You felt excited. But, not to be with Cain. To see Alex. To talk with him again; to hear his voice again. To ask him to explain the information Cain so excitedly explained to you.

The thought of a second life as an angel was exciting to you. Maybe it was just because you were a plain human, but who wouldn't want to be a mystical, holy creature with big, beautiful wings to accompany the space on their back. You felt childish, but you still remained excited. Finally the words Cain spoke to you set in as you took a break from your creative day dreaming.

"Need you? Says who? What I need is for you to leave me alone.", you puff out.

"You weren't saying that when you were so lovingly caressing my body. When your lips were so hotly pressed against mine just a moment. You're in denial.", Cain says moving his hand forward towards you more. You felt a hot blush creep up to your face, turning it a soft red.

"S-shut up! I didn't want you to just lay there and.. And die..", you said, realising how that also sounded like it supported Cain's narrative. Out of frustration you slapped Cain's hand away from you and glared at him harshly. Cain looks at the hand that was rudely slapped away and frowned slightly. He pull his hand back and look at you omce more before speaking.

"Don't be that way, love. Let me convince you. I want you, no one else will suffice.", Cain says with a slight urgency in his voice. He looked slightly panicked that you weren't caving in to his pleas by this point.

"And how do you plan to do that? I will never forgive you for anything you have done to me, demon or not. In my eyes, you're just a dirty bastard!", you screamed, tears slightly welling up on your bottom lid. They began to roll down one after another. You felt immeasurable sadness fill your heart.

"W-why.. Why be kind to me now if you knew this would have come to this from the beginning..", you sobbed, "Why didn't you just start off kind? Why did you have to hurt me the way you did, Cain!?", you screamed, your voice shaking violently.

"Because it's more fun that way, my dearest. Demons love to cause pain, it's just the way we are. We feed off of that pain.", he says with an innocent look, as if that excuses him for everything he's done to you.

"Then.. Then why have you just now chose to not hurt me anymore? If your plan was to get me to go to hell with you, wouldn't you have rather started off this way?", you cried gently, wiping your tears away slowly.

"I wasn't in love with you then", Cain says softly, "I'm in love with you now. Let me have you, I will cherish you far more than any angel would ever. All they care about is feeding off humans, but I would love you far more deeply than you could imagine.".

"Stop saying you love me! You don't!", you yelled out of frustration.

"I love you far more than you could ever imagine-", Cain says, suddenly walking towards you.

You flinch backwards and start moving away from him but he suddenly lunges towards you and grabs you by your arm tightly.

"Don't leave me.", Cain growled angrily.