Chapter 5: Coincidence

The polluted city air began to burn the back of your throat as Cain continued to stare you down with hungry eyes. Your breathing deepened as your groceries rolled down the damp alleyway's asphalt. There was a warmth that was radiating off the building's wall you were pinned up against; your heart repeatedly slamming against your ribcage.

Cains long, snake-like tongue slipped out of his mouth, and coated his devious smile with a thin layer of saliva. His eyes were so bright it was almost hard to keep eye contact with him. His slender finger slowly slid under your chin, and he lifted your face to his.

"This might be more entertaining than I thought," he cooed softly, "I didn't expect you to be so passive."

Hearing this caused you to quickly shake your head away from his hand; a deep flush filling your cheeks as you quickly threw yourself to your knees in order to collect your scattered groceries. A snicker could be heard from above as Cain knelt down beside you to help pick up the rest of your purchases.

Once everything was collected, you both found yourselves walking side by side, having a small conversation with one another as all the previous stares and whispers seemed to slip your mind.  It was a lovely conversation, Cain seemed like any other nice man you'd probably meet. Except, he wasn't a man, nor was he nice. But by pretending this, it brought you the slightest bit of joy.

✞✞✞

You just finished putting away your food, which was a successful purchase. Your cabinets and fridge were once again stocked. Snowball sat on the counter, staring off at Cain, who was standing by the porch door. He seemed transfixed on the outside world, like a child. This had caused your curiosity about him to peek, and you decided to swallow down your pride and approach him.

"Do you like it here?", you questioned him softly, sitting down on the couch beside him.

It took him a moment to reply, but he soon tore those golden eyes from the sky and looked down at you. He plastered his face with a smile, and tapped his head slowly.

"I don't know. It's defiantly not Hell, that's for sure. I guess it's just different, and it's interesting to see first hand.", he said as he took a seat beside you on the couch, causing your body to sink against his.

Your heart began to race again. Being so comfortably close to Cain felt euphoric; you didn't feel scared for once. You realised just how much you didn't know about him, and maybe it would be for the best of you, and your safety, to get along with Cain. If he was going to be staying for awhile, you might as well make sure he doesn't kill you in the process.

You slowly removed yourself from the couch. Cain's horns were back now, and he looked like his usual demon-self. As you started to set out the fruit, you noticed Cain's nose lift to the air as you tossed a few strawberries into a bowl. You barely blinked once, and Cain was no longer sitting on the couch, but instead, he was right behind you, his head hanging over your shoulder.

You almost screamed, but Cain just quickly slipped his hand into the bowl of strawberries, shoving the whole berry into his mouth before enthusiastically chewing away at it. His cheeks flushed a soft pink as be swallowed. You blinked in confusion.

"You like strawberries?", you said as you cocked your head in surprise.

"Oh yes! I absolutely love these things! Their juicy insides, the soft skin.. It's like human flesh.", he smirks, popping another one into his mouth.

Your stomach turned as he said that, causing you to lose your appetite. You slowly slide the bowl over to the strawberry-loving demon and made you way over to Snowball, who was patiently waiting for her own food. And once you retrieved her food, Cain was once again no where to be seen, but made sure to leave the once full bowl, empty.

✞✞✞

It was around eight, and you began to wear down from today's activities. Tomorrow would be Sunday, which meant one more day of relaxation. You quickly got your stuff together for bed, and brushed out your hair, and teeth. Snowball lovingly caressed her body against your legs, and you knelt down beside her to scratch her ears gently.

Thinking back on today brought that weird longing back into your heart. You craved a lover even more ever since Cain's appearance. You thought that maybe it was because Cain could actually act like a normal human being, and not just a savage, human eating demon from hell.

You craved this attention, but not from Cain. You thought to yourself for a long while, wondering when that Prince charming would bump into you. Would you have to make the first move, or would they? Would it even be safe to have a lover knowing Cain would always be watching you? There were plenty of thoughts running through your head, but they were all suddenly interrupted.

The TV was left on earlier by you, and never turned off. The news was on, but something about this didn't seem right, at all. The news anchor went on to explain that a severely decapitated body was found in the train station yesterday night by some returning workers looking for a ride back to their homes. The sight was so horrendous, it caused many of the witnesses to vomit, and even break down.

But you weren't prepared for what happened next. They showed a picture of the identity the body belonged too, and you instantly felt as if your legs would shatter beneath you. The train pevert's picture filled your screen, and a cold sweat instantly formed along your brow. Your breathing quickened, almost causing you to choke on your own air.

"The injuries this man faced are too great to be caused by any man, or weapon. But when camera surveillance was looked through, there was absolutely no attacker even there, and right as the victim walked into the view of the cameras, the cameras went haywire and shut down.", the anchor explains.

"This is a very chilling story, because it seems we might have some disgustingly morbid and cruel murderer on the loose, or some wild, vicious animal that no one has reported yet."

You slowly stumbled back, falling back onto your butt as you stared fearfully at the screen. You couldn't even bring yourself to speak, choking on your very own fear.

"Did— Did Cain—?", you coughed out, your body shaking violently.

Everything was leading to it being Cain, there was no way that a coincidence this big could happen in your city. There's no way any human or animal could do that to a person, not even if they were angry enough. You swallowed hard at the lump in your throat, biting nervously at your lip.

You knew Cain was dangerous, and had no boundaries, but the crazy bitch actually went out and killed someone. All that trust and comfort you had built up in him slowly drained out onto the floor beneath you. You sat on the floor, watching the news reporters go back and forth with one another, fighting back the tears that began to built up from fear.

You listened to the description of the body's condition, and then thought about the man who was just blushing at the taste of strawberries. They couldn't possibly be done by the same person, right? But Cain is also the same person who caused these bruises to your neck, and the same person who touched you when you pleaded no.

It couldn't have been a coincidence. And if Cain did that to some random train pervert, did you really expect to be able to bring home another partner? And those hopes of the future you always wanted began to disappear from your mind. Forever.