4. Ancient One

Chapter 4: Ancient One

Amara walks through the street while holding a piece of paper. She passed through old buildings along the way with a frown while looking around.

"177A Bleecker Street..." She look down at the paper in her hand again and looked at the address as she stops in front of an old-looking building that didn't look different from the rest in the area.

She walked up the stairs even when feeling doubt and stops at the door. She was about to knock when the door open on its own. 

"The service is not bad..."

A staircase greeted her as it was placed in the middle of the room which leads to another floor. Chairs have placed on either side of the stairs as if it is where they greet their guest. She walks inside and looks for someone around.

"You have come." A female voice sounded from behind her causing Amara to turn around. She saw a woman wearing a yellow robe with its hood on her head.

"Sure you would have known." Amara whispered as the female in front of her just continued her stares, "What caused you to seek me?" She asked seriously.

"I need your help." Amara blinked and stared at the female in front of her with disbelief.

"You? Ancient One? Need my help?" She was skeptical, "Something you can't do means I can't do too." She emphasized. Ancient One walks past her with one hand on her back and leads her upstairs. Amara follows seeing this while thinking of the possible problem that Ancient One needs her help and found that there is nothing in her mind.

"You don't have to do it now, since it is not the time yet." Ancient One paused in front of a door and opened it. Amara looked around as they entered a study room and bring her eyes back to the female wizard as she took from the shelf an old black book, its cover is made of leather, and the words were written in white. She looks at it for a while before giving it to Amara.

Amara looked at Ancient One intently before reaching for the book. Seeing the title, an expression of shock morphed on her face. 

"This..." She look up towards the female wizard and saw her nod then opened her mouth.

"Take it with you and protect it well." Amara was confused, "As far as I know, you have tons of talented wizards under you, shouldn't you give this to them to protect?" Ancient One shook her head and looked at Amara seriously.

"But only you can keep it well." Ancient One gave her a pointed look to which she wants to roll her eyes. Can't believe she is being entrusted with something that should not be in her hands.

Silence shrouded the room as the two stopped talking and looked at each other. Eyes look towards each other with determination and no one breaks the eye contact, as if they are fighting a very important match and blinking will determine who will lose.

After a few minutes, someone sighs in helplessness and Amara slaps her forehead as she breaks eye contact, not believing she is fighting a childish game. Ancient One looks the same as always if not for the slight raise of her eyebrow and curl of the corner of her lips, showing her joy for winning.

"We are like a kid." Amara said and look up again, "Fine, I'll keep it. Do you want to tell me why?" Ancient One pointed at the black book and said to her.

"You'll know once you read something inside." Amara has no choice but to agree and grunted as a response. She then put the book inside her coat and turn around to leave the room.

Walking down the stairs, she stops and took a long look at the female wizard standing on the second floor. Amara then waves goodbye at the wizard and walks out of the door, leaving without seeing the change in Ancient One's expression.

A sound of footstep can be heard as a man wearing a royal blue with a red cape appeared near the Ancient One just as Amara left the door. He look up from reading and saw Ancient One looking at the door which just closed.

"You have a visitor?" The man asked as he closed the book he was holding. Ancient One did not look at him but still answered.

"Yes... A very special one." The man raised his eyebrow as he heard that. He looked at Ancient One who turn around and walked away with her hands behind her back. He did not think more as he saw her leaving.

The man shrugged and turned around, then paused as he felt his left ankle was itchy a while ago but it disappeared now. He blinked and walked towards one of the rooms, slightly distracted. Then only the sound of a door closing can be heard inside the quiet building...