13.What I Want

13.

You told me to lie, but I won't
It doesn't seem right knowing
I'll never get what I want if I can't on my own
I took a chance on a feeling
But here I am feeling alone
(The Band Camino-What I Want)

"Lexa, you have to make a choice."

"Titus, I can't... I can't now.". The man shook his head. Next to him, Becca Franko was staring at the actress, impatient. The fourth season of Natblida would have happened, with or without its protagonist. Lexa leaned against the wall. She wanted to throw up.

"You're the leading actress in one of the most watched TV shows in years, not the babysitter of a group of brats." Titus snapped. The actress clenched her fists. She moved forward, her gaze full of anger.

"Speak like this again about the kids and I swear those will be your last words." she replied. The man backed down, rather shocked by that reaction. Lexa rarely responded in kind and, when she did, she usually apologized right away. There was something different about her, it was so obvious. And Titus knew very well who was to blame for all that. Clarke. He has hated that girl since the days of Arkadia. He knew right from the start that she would have been a danger to Lexa's career.

"What are you doing, are you threatening me now?" he retorted, a grin painted on his face. "You're nobody without me, you know that."

"Okay, that's enough!" Becca intervened, tired of such theatrics. "Lexa, what do you want to do? We need answers.". The actress ran her hand through her hair. What did she want to do? Yeah, good question. Run away, probably.

"Becca, I care a lot about my role and the show, but at the same time the situation is complicated. I can't find someone who can look after the kids and force them to leave Los Angeles doesn't seem right to me, not after all they've been through. Especially Aden, he needs his friends, his life. Depriving him of all this wouldn't be fair.". Becca looked at her with unexpected tenderness. She put a hand on her shoulder.

"Lexa, I didn't ask you what you think is right or not to do, but what you want, for you." she told her. "Once understood that, a solution will be found.". Lexa didn't answer. She was paralyzed. It was so long since she had asked herself such a question. What did she want? To vomit, to run away, to hide. No. To feel free. To feel alive. Clarke. Yes, she would have liked to have Clarke by her side, she would surely have been able to suggest her what was the best thing to do.

"I... I need more time." she stated. Becca snapped her tongue. She tapped her own nose, pensive.

"A week, Lexa." she said. "I'll give you one more week." The actress nodded.

"Thank you." she murmured. Becca smiled. She put her jacket and headed to the door.

"So, we all agree. See you again in a week." she said. "Goodbye.". She left the office, leaving Titus and Lexa alone. The man shook his head and sat down at his desk.

"You're throwing everything away, you know that?" he began. "And for what? You are young, you have a brilliant career ahead of you. After all the sacrifices we made!"

"That I made, you mean. That you made me do, actually." Lexa replied. "It's not about you, Titus.". The man burst out laughing.

"Don't treat me like your success isn't my merit. I found you the productions you worked in, I invested in you."

"Well, I'm sorry if I turned out to be a waste of time." the actress replied. She gathered her stuff and was about to leave, when Titus called her. Lexa, who had already opened the door, stopped without turning around.