Epilogue-Alive Again

Epilogue

You make me feel alive again
(Kam Michael feat. Eredaze-Alive Again)

"O, give me some popcorn!" Raven exclaimed raising her hand, her gaze fixed on the TV.

"They're coming!" Octavia replied, throwing at her friend a plastic bowl full of popcorn that, of course, ended up on the couch. Lincoln waved a hand through his face, ready for the outburst that would have come next. Kane, who was sitting on the floor next to him, stood up and tried to pick up as much popcorn as possible, in vain.

"Hey! That's my couch!" Lexa blurted out, her hands on her hips.

"Oh, come on, what's yours is ours now, you know that." Anya replied. Lexa rolled her eyes and hit her friend on the arm.

"Ouch!" the latter complained, glaring at her.

"Shut up, Clarke's on soon!" Abby hushed them all, sitting down on the couch. The four actresses calmed down immediately, intimidated by the woman. Meanwhile, on the screen, Daniel Kaluuya won the Academy Award for Best Actor.

"Here we go!" Raven exclaimed, with enthusiasm. Abby turned to Lexa. She smiled at her and caressed her hand, almost maternally.

"No matter what happens, I'm proud of her." the woman said. "I'm proud of the both of you.'". Lexa looked away, vaguely embarrassed. So many things had happened in that last year and, sometimes, she struggled to realize how much her life had changed in such a short time. Luna and Roan had died and she had found herself with two teenagers and two children. She had tried in every way to hide it from everyone, but then the unthinkable happened. Clarke had shown up at her door and her world had changed again, for the umpteenth time. They had gotten closer, little by little, despite everything and everyone. The truth about Lexa's running away had emerged, so liberating. They had learned together to stop lying, especially to themselves. They had learned to love each other again, to get to know each other again. And, always together, they had done everything they could to give the kids what they needed. When Malachi had kidnapped Aden and Madi, Lexa had felt lost like never before. She had felt like a part of herself had been torn from her and the fear that the unspeakable could happen to the two kids had opened the doors of a bottomless abyss. Without Clarke, she would have been lost. And the truth had imposed itself again, with no way out. By now those kids were their kids. Lexa sighed. She ran a hand through her hair and turned around. She shook her head, an amused smile on her lips.

"Come on, come out." she said, forcing herself not to laugh. Madi, Aden and Adria emerged from behind the wall that separated the living room from the entrance of the house, their heads bowed to hide a certain embarrassment for being caught. The eldest held a more asleep than awake Ethan in her arms. He had grown a lot, now he was almost a year and a half old.

"You should be in bed, both of you." Lexa told Aden and Adria. "And he should too." she added, taking Ethan between her arms. "And what about you? When did you come back?" she then asked Madi. Thanks to the incredible talent she had shown in more than one game, Madi had drawn the attention of several colleges and had managed to attend college, something so unthinkable just the year before. Thanks to Clarke and Lexa, she had begun to believe in herself and to recognize that she was worth it and deserved to be happy. She hadn't heard of her mother anymore and, even though that obviously hurt her, the presence of the two actresses had helped her a lot. She had a family now, a real family.

"I arrived this afternoon, but I spent the day at Luka's, when I got home I was tired and..."

"Okay, I don't want to know more." Lexa interrupted her, giggling.