16.Ache

16.

You can't choose the life you get
Wish I could be somebody else
[...]
Put me to rest
I'm ready to lose everything
(Youth Fountain-Ache)

"Hey, stranger. Are you okay?". Lexa turned around. Clarke was in front of her, smiling at her. The blonde sat next to her, without talking. They were by a pond not far from the set, surrounded only by peaceful and reassuring silence. Every now and then, Lexa threw a few pebbles into the clear water, under Clarke's watchful eyes.

"It's a beautiful day," the latter noted, looking up at the sky. "Just a bit cold. It's winter, after all.". Lexa said nothing. She bent her gaze and kept playing with some pebbles. Clarke frowned. She didn't understand what the problem was.

"Lexa?" she called her, without getting an answer. "Hey." she insisted. She placed two fingers under the brunette's chin and forced her to turn to her. Lexa's green eyes were laden with deep melancholy and Clarke suspected she had just stopped crying.

"Lexa?" She insisted, worried. The brunette sighed and shook her head.

"I'm going.". Clarke wasn't sure she had heard correctly.

"I understand, you prefer to be alone. I'm going back to my trailer." she said, standing up on her feet. She was about to head to the set, but Lexa stopped her, taking her wrist. Clarke turned around. Lexa was staring at her with her emerald eyes. Clarke swallowed. She sat back on the ground, slowly. They were facing each other now and, for a moment, Lexa looked like a frightened little girl to her. She reached out her hand, until she laid it on her left knee.

"Clarke, I have to go."

"And where?" Clarke asked, more and more confused. In her heart, she was actually starting to guess what Lexa was trying to tell her. Yet, she just couldn't accept it.

"In Nevada, to star in a new tv show.". A frozen shower. Lexa's words were worse for Clarke than a frozen shower.

"Lex..." the latter muttered, in disbelief.

"They told me this morning. I'll be the main character, it's a good chance for me."

"Lex..."

"I'll leave once filming is over. Wallace assured me that my character will have a more than dignified end."

"Lexa, what are you talking about?" Clarke cried, tears in her eyes. She was nauseated.

"I'm sorry." Lexa muttered. Clarke shook her head. She had never felt such despair. She felt lost. She couldn't understand.

"When were you going to tell me you had decided to audition for another show?"

"No, Clarke. It didn't go that way." Lexa said. "They called me. Titus..."

"Titus, always Titus! Take some responsibility sometimes!" Clarke replied, getting back on her feet. "You don't know how much I went out on a limb for you, in order to try to improve not only mine, but also your character!". Lexa smiled bitterly. "You don't know... It doesn't matter."

"I'm sorry." the brunette just muttered. Clarke burst out laughing.

"That's not true, but that's fine." she said. Then she ran away, without daring to look back.