Chapter 1

My heart pounded in my chest as I stood facing my new college, gazing at my own reflection in the glass of the building wall. I was wearing a short floral dress, ready to embark on this new chapter of my life. Doubt crept into my mind - did I make the right decision? Leaving my family behind, knowing they wouldn't support me in New York, was a difficult choice. But deep down, excitement bubbled within me, eager to see what this new page would bring.

I glanced down at my watch, white skin contrasting against the timepiece, wondering why my friend was running late on their first day. Finally, when Serena arrived, she wasted no time in criticizing my outfit.

"Sorry I'm late, my god, what are you wearing? Did you steal that dress from your sister? You look like a child," Serena remarked, her words souring the moment.

I frowned unhappily, brushing off the comment and addressing the more pressing issue. "Serena, you promised not to do this. I told you not to stay out late at that bar yesterday. We came here to study."

"Save me your lectures, Ayleen. I'm here now," Serena replied, rolling her eyes with unnecessary attitude.

Doing our best to navigate the crowded hallway, we entered our first class of the day. I wanted to sit at the back, trying to avoid unnecessary attention, but it seemed inevitable.

Serena and I, were the complete opposite, I had green eyes, and wavy black hair that cascaded down my back, while Serena's red curly hair, dark brown eyes, and more provocative choice of clothing, caught the eye of our fellow students.

Once we settled at our desks, Serena whispered, "Did you manage to find a job?"

"Not yet." I answered with defeat

"Ayleen, if you don't find a job by the end of this week, we won't have enough to pay rent. And I know your parents can't send you any money. We'll be forced to go back to Utah!" Serena's panic filled the air.

"I know, I'll find something, okay? Just calm down..." I tried to soothe my own brewing anxiety at the thought of returning home and losing my dream.

Our conversation was cut short as the professor entered the classroom, welcoming us to our first year and explaining that each student would be assigned a private tutor based on their instrument of choice. I played the piano, while Serena chose the violin. We would only share classes, not tutors.

"You have Professor Marcelo, right?" Serena asked, looking at the schedule.

"Yeah, they say he's super strict. I'm already nervous," I replied, biting my lip.

"You've been working so hard to find a job. My cousin is playing at a nearby bar tonight. Let's go watch him with his band and relieve some stress," Serena suggested, rubbing her forehead to ease her growing headache.

I frowned. "Did you forget our earlier conversation? I need to find a job."

"Come on! It would mean a lot to him. I promise I'll help you with your search tomorrow if you come with me tonight." Serena's brown eyes transformed into those of a pleading puppy.

I chewed on my bottom lip, contemplating if I could afford to lose a day. Ultimately, I realized going back to Utah without experiencing a night out would be a shame.

After returning to our shared apartment, I wasted no time in searching for a job, spending hours scrolling through ads without any luck.

A sudden knock made me jump. "Coming in!" Serena shouted, gasping when she saw me. "Seriously, you're not ready yet?"

"I was trying to find a job," I sighed.

"Any luck?" She asked.

"None. There are plenty of ads for violinists, guitarists, and drummers, but none for pianists. I even looked for wedding bands." I sighed heavily.