VOL. 1 Chapter Two: Vecna's Curse

I let Eddie settle in the basement couch, not sure if he actually settled, but, he sat on the couch at least. I knew Eddie, but not well enough to know when he's joking or playing around. I contemplated on calling someone, Dustin, Max, Robin, anyone - anyone but Steve.
I also didn't want to try and push a conversation out of Eddie, I've seen enough traumatised people in my life through work and the upside down to know that you can never force people to tell you what has hurt them the most, but the least you could do is be there when they are ready to tell you.

I'm awoken by my rotary phone ringing on my bed side table, the piercing ringing made me jump a mile out of my skin before I pick it up.

"Good morning, Samantha Wheeler speaking"

"Wheeler this is Officer Powell, I need you down at Forest Hills Trailer Park within an hour. It's all hands on deck, see you soon"

He hung up.

No questions, no time to process, that was it

No questions, no time to process, that was it. I place the phone back down and then nearly cry at the fact I have to go to the station and leave my family for a few hours.
I finally pull myself together, brush my teeth, fix my hair, slap a bit of make up on and put on my uniform before quickly heading down to the basement only to be confronted with Eddie still sitting in the same spot I left him last night. I catch Eddie's attention as he looks up at me and rises to his feet. I can hear his heart beating through his chest from here, I guess this is the last sight he wants to see when a woman died in his present - an officer at the house he's hiding out in.

"I'm not gonna do anything" I quickly tell him which relieves a bit of tension in his muscles. I stand at the bottom of the stairs "I've been called in to investigate your trailer but I'm on your side Eddie, I'm not going to let them frame you, trust me" Eddie slowly nods his head "I'll be back later. Just stay down here and if Mom or someone comes downstairs to do like washing or something just jump behind the couch, I don't know"

By this point I'm back halfway up the stairs "I'll protect you Eddie, okay? Don't run away"

Eddie nods his head quickly and tears begin to well in his eyes as fear takes over him again "Okay. Okay"

I head into the kitchen where Mom and Dad are sitting having a coffee together.

"Well don't you just look spick" Dad comments with a proud smile from ear to ear on his face

"So happy to see that uniform back on you, honey" Mom looks at me with such loving eyes with a twinkle of happiness

As I turn around and see the love and genuine care and interest, I'm pushed to the verge of tears again - What if they only like me and are proud of me when I'm in uniform, doing something successful? I just need to be home to make sure everyone is okay.

Intrusive thoughts begin to fill my head before I can shake them off and let my feet take me to the front door after grabbing my car keys and hat without a word.