Chapter 2: dragon family

"Brother!"

"Brotherrr!"

Russia felt someone shake him awake.

"What-" he snapped and opened his eyes only to be blinded by golden feathers.

"The western kingdom has been atta-"

"So!" He hissed, "why does it matter to us!"
Lifting a claw he swatted his brother's wings away.

"Brotherrr, it's not who's been attacked! It's who's attacking!" Another higher voice piped in.

This caught his attention. Russia propped himself up on the bed frame and looked at his brother, Kazakhstan, then at his sister, Belarus.

"Continue." He demanded, his Russian accent was heavy and his tone came out wrong due to his drowsiness.

They looked nervously at each other, then Belarus sighed and turned to him.

"We don't know for sure, but we think it's a AshClaw dragons doing." She explained.

He paused, the gears turning in his head. After a moment of silence he figured it out.

'AshClaws? it's too cold for them, with the storm and all, wouldn't they struggle? Perhaps even die?'

That's what he wanted to say but it came out:

" If those idiots are gonna get themselves killed. Good riddance. "

Russia huffed, annoyed at himself for saying that. It wasn't even their fault. Each time around this time of year, more and more AshClaws are forced from their home, because of human activity and hunting on the other side of the volcano.

'They already hunted our species to near extinction, what else do they want?'

Our land.... our resources... It whimpered.

'Oh my almighty pangea shut up already.'

OUR LIVES!!!!! THEY WANT TO HANG OUR HEADS ON THEIR FIREPLACES!!!! It freaked out.

'IT WAS RHETORICAL YOU IDIOT.'

"That's the thing, they seem perfectly fine…. Just more aggressive." Kazakhstan brought his attention back into the real world.

" so.. are you worried about them attacking our home?" He asked his younger siblings, concern filling his voice.

"A little.." Kaz whispered, visibly shaking.

Russia heaved himself off his bed, patted his siblings backs and walked out of the old, dusty room. "It will be fine. But if it really bothers you, then big brother will build more defenses."

The shorter male nodded.

" After breakfast of course." He chuckled, ruffled Kaz's hair and walked into the small kitchen. Bela followed him in and sat at the small dining table with Kaz closely behind fixing his hair.

The kitchen was mainly cabinets along with counters with a few candles, plates and silverware they salvaged scattered everywhere. The floor was an old-old wood that desperately needed some attention. There was one window that could only be opened a little bit and was covered in spiderwebs. In the cabinets was some cheese, bread, potatoes, carrots and salted jerky'd cow meat.

He grabbed the loaf of bread, cheese and the jerky then closed the cabinet.

"Tomorrow, ukie will have to go shopping in the town and we'll have to harvest the crops and jerky some more meat today."

"Okay. I'll remind Ukie when he gets back."

Russia pulled out a knife and cut 6 slices of the bread leaving less than a 1/3 left.