Chapter 4 Human pet?

"Can we keep it?"

"No."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, what a walk. The beautiful sky after a storm, dew on the trees, birds of all colors and beautiful little butterflies. 

And no, this time it isn't his older brother throwing pieces of butter at him and yelling 'Butter-fly! Butter-fly!'. His usually serious and grumpy older brother can be surprisingly childish sometimes.

Picking up a rock the dragon proceeded to throw the rock then kick it midair, sending it flying into the tree cover.

Oops- занадто важко (bit too hard.)

Continuing on his walk, the dragon sped up. Jumping over rocks and brambles, diving under a fallen log he was finally greeted with the sound of the river and its local fauna. 

Sitting down at the edge of the river's bank, He watched as minnows did a dance that they only knew. Catching the light just at the right time, they illuminated their silver scales into little dancing lights.

In the steadily moving waves, sat a steadily bobbing log, on top of the log was a small, croaking brown frog. By the side of the river, cattails waved to the trees, which waved back to the cattails.

Settling, the dragon opened an old leather satchel. Inside were some roughly made fishing lures, some scrap metal hooks, and a jar that contained dirt and a couple earthworms for live bait.

Leaning over to a patch of tall grass. He  Pulled a small fishing rod out. One that he hid on his previous visit to the river. Opening the jar, he pulled out a rather small earthworm out of the bunch and carefully, shoved the worm onto the hook.

After a few failing attempts of keeping and placing the worm back on his hook. He just decided to stop poking holes into the poor creature and used a fake tin bait instead.

Placing the clearly distraught worm back into the jar, he made a promise to himself to never do that again. 

~~~

Even after three hours of fishing with no luck, he just couldn't bring himself to stab that defenseless worm again and again. 

Я НЕ ХОЧУ КРОВІ В МОЄМУ МЕТАФОРИЧНОМУ РОЗУМІ РУКАХ

 ( I DON'T WANT WORM BLOOD ON MY METAPHORICAL MIND HANDS)

Refocusing his thoughts to the current task, 

he was disturbed to be greeted by the all too familiar metallic scent of blood.

!

….

Wait- 

Do worms even have blood?

Peeking over to the jar, he took one out along with the one he hurt. Comparing them, he could see a small bit of pinkish-red blood seep from the holes he created in the smaller one.

Placing the worms back into the jar, the dragon didn't know what to do with his life as he stared at his hands.

Worms can bleed.

What is life?

Who am i.

What is my purpose?

WORMS CAN BLEED.

WHAT'S NEXT? EARTHWORMS HAVING 5 HEARTS?!

But even if they can…bleed… surely that wasn't enough to provide such a strong scent, let alone of mammal blood…. Right?