Four

WARNING: 

-blood

-birth

-cursing

Edited January 2023

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

THIRD POV

10 years ago...

Durham, North Caroline. Duke University. 

Nine-year-old Clarissa Saltzman was sitting on a table in her Aunt Isobel's office, doing her math homework. She was quite bored and push it aside and picked up her history book and homework. 

There was a knock as Clarissa looked up and saw a man around her uncle Alaric's age. 

"Pardon me, is Isobel Flemming around?"

"She's in a meeting, but she'll be back soon," Clarissa replied. 

"Are you her daughter?"

Clarissa shook her head. "Niece. You're more than welcome to wait."

"Thank you, Kaleb, come in."

Clarissa glanced over and saw a boy her age, Kaleb. He had curly brown hair and blue eyes. She looked back at her history homework and continued working. She didn't pay attention to the young boy walking over and looking at her math homework. 

"You got five wrong."

Clarissa looked up at him. "What?"

Kaleb sat down across from her, took her pencil from her hand, and began correcting the equations. Clarissa watch until he turned the worksheet back at her and smiled. 

Clarissa glared at him and then grabbed her worksheet putting it inside her notebook. She began gathering her things, stood up, and left without a word. 

Kaleb sat there confused then glanced over to his father who was reading a newspaper. Kaleb got up and went out of the office to see Clarissa heading outside. 

"Wait!"

But she didn't. Kaleb ran and caught her arm, turning her around. 

"I'm... I'm sorry." 

Clarissa pulled her arm back and turned around. 

"Hey," Kaleb said stopping her again by standing in front of her. "Are you going to tell me your name?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because we're not friends," Clarissa said then Isobel walked up to her. 

"Clarissa," Isobel said sweetly. "Honey, that's not nice to say."

"Clarissa, huh?" the boy held out his hand. "I'm Kaleb."

Clarissa didn't want to shake his hand but she glanced at her aunt and then took his hand. Kaleb smiled then Clarissa opened her mouth to say something only for her head to begin spinning. one hand raised up to her hand, and her balance began to wobble. Isobel quickly dashed to her side and knelt down. 

"Clarie, are you okay?"

Clarissa shook her head and leaned against her aunt. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't."