Twenty-one

Note: overall we're going to focus on three POVs (Kol, Clarissa, and Jacob). Because Kol's still alive and Kaleb's story is much different in this version, I'm using Claudia as their replacement to fill in their part of their story with Davina. Davina needs a guide and Claudia is going to use that. 

This is basically part 2 of this book as this is going to introduce the next season. 

Anyways, happy reading!

Edited March 2023

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Mystic Falls (May)

Alaric had found Stefan still sitting on a bench by his family's cryptic. He was tapping his foot anxiously, his thumb hovering over the call button to dial Clarissa's name. 

"You haven't called her yet?" Alaric asked. 

"No, and um... I don't know what to tell her," Stefan muttered but with Alaric's vampire hearing, he heard it just fine.

Alaric sat down beside Stefan and held out his hand. Stefan handed his phone over to Alaric who dialed Clarissa's number. The phone rang... and rang for a while until it was finally picked up. 

"Claire," Alaric spoke in a soft and relieved voice. 

"Alaric Saltzman," Elijah spoke in a calm manner surprising both Stefan and Alaric. "It's a pleasure to hear from you."

"Sorry, but um... is Clarissa around? We need to talk to her or Kol."

"I'm sorry," Elijah replied after a brief second of silence. "But something happened and... Clarissa and Nathaniel are dead."

Stefan's eyes widen. And Alaric looks shocked just the same. 

"H-How?"

"A group of wolves and witches attack my family while we were at our lowest. I'm sorry."

Alaric then hung up and stared at the phone for the longest five minutes before handing it to Stefan. Stefan took it, got up, and left. 

That night Stefan and Alaric were in New Orleans to see Clarissa's dead body. Stefan saw the memorial with his daughter and grandson's photo hung next to a picture, or drawing, of Klaus and Hayley's unborn daughter. Stefan followed the directions to the compound where Elijah was waiting. 

"Where is she?" Stefan said in a panic. 

"Calm yourselves," Elijah said. 

"Where's my daughter!" Stefan shouted grabbing Elijah by his jacket. 

Elijah removed Stefan's hands from him and led them down to the cellar. Stefan saw Clarissa's casket but he nor Alaric could enter. 

"What..?"

"It's a containment spell," Elijah told them. "The witches of New Orleans want to consecrate her with their ancestors to harness her power for their own. We couldn't grant them the pleasure, no one can enter by me and Niklaus."

"Who's coffin is that?"

Elijah lifted the coffin and revealed Kol, desiccated and daggered. "After the death of his wife and son, and unborn children Kol went on a violent rampage. I had to seduce him before he'd cause more trouble for us, but it is as my brother and I fear. He'd turn off his humanity and was determined to burn the entire city the worst version of himself than ever."