Chapter One

Chapter One

I stared blankly at my test that had started 15 minutes ago. People were already scribbling down their answers like madmen on crack which I don't understand. Did they seriously study for this? I don't understand Chem.

I glanced to my right where Nancy was in full concentration mode, writing down every answer as fast as she could. It was like she was trying to be the first to finish, yet here I was, only answering the first question. What is your name? Shiver me timbers, I hope I get a tick on that one.

I decided I should at least attempt it. So, with every answer I wrote down, I knew it was going to be wrong, right away. Part of me regrets not studying for this test, and this teacher makes the hardest tests. I hope he has fun reading one of my answers—(mr teacher, this is bullshit).

I tucked a strand of loose blonde hair behind my ear, nibbling on my pencil as I stared at the questions.

A knock broke out of my thoughts, and everyone's as we all stared at the door. Principal Higgins talked to the teacher in hushed tones at the door. Suddenly, the teacher's eyes landed on me. "Juno Hopper? Your father's here to speak to you."

I cringed, thinking that he caught me last night. But how could he? I was so careful, and, why would he want to embarrass me in front of the class like that? Most eyes turned to me. Maybe this is my punishment.

I left my things and walked to the front of the classroom, giving him a polite and sarcastic smile. Principal Higgins had left the hallway once the door had closed behind us, leaving me alone with my Dad who was uniform and looking rougher than ever.

"Juno, glad to see you went to school." Dad muses.

"Dad, glad to see you're at work." I fire right back, crossing my arms. "Okay, I swear to you I didn't—" I retrace my thoughts. "Wait... Why are you here? What's so important you can't talk to me at home?"

"Cause, I'm here asking some questions for Joyce Byers." My Dad told me. I pursed my lips together. Joyce Byers. I'm not entirely close to the Byers family, but Mike, Nancy's little brother is. "Have you seen Will around at all?"

"Uh, no?" I asked. "I don't hang around with 10-year-olds. Dad, I'm 16."

"I know that." Dad rolled his eyes. "But I figured since you were at Nancy Wheeler's house at lot, and apparently that's Will and friends lil hub to hang out, you would've gotten to know them a little bit."

"Sorry, Dad, I don't—Wait, Will's missing?" I questioned, completely surprised. Well, I didn't expect this. Dad nods softly, he looked exhausted.

"I have had calls among calls from Joyce this morning and I'm trying to solve it quickly to get her off my back," Dad admits. "She's one protective mother." I wish I had a protective mother or even father.

"I'm sorry, I really can't help you out. I barely know Mike." I told him truthfully. "Have you talked to them?"

"No, I'm about to head to their school now. Thanks for the useful information, Juno." Dad grumpily mutters under his breath and I glared at him.

"Go do your job." The bell suddenly rings and I mentally cheered, I had skipped out on a boring test. "See you at home, Dad!" I call as he walks down the hallway, taking off his cap and sighing out of frustration. I let out a soft 'huh', feeling bad for Joyce Byers. Her boy is missing, how sad.

Nancy had met me in the hallways. "That was way too intense that test," Nancy admitted. "I hope I passed—Oh, hey, what did your Dad want?"

I shrugged. "Something about Will Byers going missing," I responded and her mouth agape.