Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Along with everyone's help, I was packing up the Byers' place. I'm moving to California! Along with Joyce, Will, Jonathan, and El. Joyce so kindly took us in and decided that it would be best for all of us to move on from this place and I completely agree.

I love everyone here, I do. Trust me. But I think it's best that we started somewhere new, somewhere fresh. Away from all of... This. I would stay and have the funds to do it with Dad's money that he left for me and El, but I couldn't do it quite yet. I haven't turned 18. Once I'm 18, then I'll think about moving back.

And that leaves me and Steve. We stood here, in Joyce's empty room, and this is my attempt to break up with Steve in the meantime.

"So... I was thinking, you could come down for Spring break, you know?" Steve was already planning out our entire future and my heart was breaking for not being able to think the same. I can't do long-distance relationships.

"Steve," I speak, disappointment in my voice and Steve stopped his rambling and looked at me.

"What? You don't like that idea?" Steve asked. "I mean—You don't have to come down, I could go up. Yeah, I would want a taste of the Cali sun, actually."

"No, Steve." I stopped him from talking completely because I know he would ramble about this forever.

"No, it's okay, Jun, I've got a job now with Robin at the video store. I can afford it if I saved up." Steve insisted.

"I know, I know you want this. I want this too, believe me." I sighed, running a hand through my hair and walking out towards the window where I get a view of the moving van and everyone packing the boxes in. "But... I don't want to have a long-distance relationship, Steve. I can't do that. It would hurt me too much."

"What... What are you saying then, Juno?" Steve whispers. He knows what I'm about to say, and I have to force myself to say it.

"I don't want to say it." I shakily let out, placing my hands over my eyes to try and stop myself from crying. "Because I don't want to—But I know, for in my future, our future, it's our best interest right now. And... And when I'm in Cali, I need to work on myself. I have so much trauma I need to handle, and on top of being in a relationship I think my whole world—"

"It's okay." Steve cuts me off gently and I felt arms being wrapped around me. He kisses my temple. "I understand, Jun. You know I'll always love you, no matter what. You're my first love, Jun."

"And you're mine, too." I turned around so I'm looking at him. "I'll always love you, too. But right now..."

"You need to work on yourself." Steve finished for me and I nodded. "And to be honest, I think it will be hard going in a long-distance relationship like the others are doing. Halfway through next year I'll probably just move to Cali because I'll miss your pretty little face too much."

I chuckled, glancing down for a second before looking up at him. "Steve, I'm sorry. And—And when I come back permanently, and if you haven't found another girl by then, do you think we could give us another chance?"

"Of course, Jun." Steve smiled. "I'll wait for you. You know I will. But don't go find someone that has better hair than me, all right?"

"Steve, I'm not planning on finding another boyfriend anytime soon, I can promise you that much," I say to him. "But, as a peace offering, I'll come to visit you and Nancy in the spring holidays. I promise."

"Peace offering? Is that what you call it?" Steve teased, pressing his forehead against mine.

"Yeah." I giggled. "I love you, Stevie."

"And I love you, Jun." He softly said. He gives me a kiss goodbye and I pulled away after a couple of seconds before he pulls me in for a hug, his head resting on top of mine.

"I should go help pack." I smiled at him before leaving him and walking down the hallway. I pressed my back against the hallway and let a few silent tears fall down my face.

"Turn around." I heard singing from Max and Lucas in the living room and I couldn't help but smile. Over the past few weeks, Lucas and Max had been teasing Dustin all day long about the song. "Look at what you see." I walked down the hallway and entered the living room, leaning against the wall, watching them look extremly happy, despite the shit that happened. "The mirror of your dreams. Rhymes that keep their secret will, unfold behind the clouds."

"Wait." Max paused. Dustin was sitting across the room, expressionless. "Did we get that verse right? It's unfold behind the clouds?

"Yeah. But you're butchering it, so could you please stop?" Dustin practically begged.

"So then join in, Dusty-bun." Lucas teases and blows air kisses.

"Yeah, come on, Dusty-bun." Max pouted. "Why don't you come to join us?"

"You guys are so funny," Dustin sarcastically said. "You should be on Carson."

"Can't we just hear your rendition?" Max pleaded.

"No." Dustin strongly said.

"Please? Just one verse?" I begged, squatting down next to Dustin.

"Oh, come on, not you, too!" Dustin groaned. "And no way! It's reserved for Suzie's ears, and Suzie's ears only."

Max and Lucas lock their eyes. "Turn around. Look at what you see." They begin to sing the song again and I giggled before standing back up while Dustin was giving them the middle finger.

I walked around and found El in the hallway by Will's room, alone, clutching her teddy bear that I had given her. "Hey." I softly greeted and looked up, startled. She relaxed when she saw it was just me.

"Did you... Did you guys break up?" El questioned softly. I had told her about my previous plans before.

I nodded. "Yeah. It was hard... But it's what's right."

"I'm sorry," El spoke and she comes over to hug me.

"It's okay," I responded back. "We're gonna be okay." I kissed her forehead. "Should we go? I think the others are waiting for us, we need to say our goodbyes."

"Goodbyes..." El repeated. "They're hard."

"I know, kid." I smiled tightly. "I know." With links arms, we joined everyone else in the parking lot. Everything was packed in the moving van.

We're all hugging now, I was saying my goodbyes to Nancy. "Oh, Nance." I hugged her tightly. "I know we haven't spent that much time together in the past few months, and I'm sorry—"

"Juno, you don't have to be sorry." Nancy pulls away from me, visibly crying. "You are my best friend. And you always will be, no matter the distance." We both chuckled.

"Good news, I'll see you during spring break." I tell her, wiping her tears away. "So I might need a place to stay."

Nancy grinned. "Of course. There's always a place for you to stay, Juno."

"I know, thank you." We both hugged one last time before I turned to hug Mike, Lucas, and Max. Steve was already gone, I knew he hated goodbyes, and I guess that would be best otherwise I would be breaking down in tears... Again.

The Byers gang, El, and I all piled into two cars. Joyce, El, and I in one and Will and Jonathan in the moving van with the Jonathan's car towed behind. And this is it. This is us finally leaving Hawkins, Indiana.

Goodbye Hawkins.

And hello Californa.