Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Summer had finally begun and I was speeding down the road towards the new and improved Star Court Mall.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I finally got my licence. I had gotten it the first week of the summer holidays because Steve was pressing my ass about it.

Listening to Just Another Day, by Oingo Boingo, I was high on life. It was finally the Summer of 1985 and I was so happy. Steve had graduated and is now working at Scoops Ahoy, in the new Star Court Mall.

My windows were down as I drove towards the mall, banging my hands on the steering wheel in my new 1984 ford, a gift from my Dad as I had passed. I glanced at the police scanner that I have stolen. Even though nothing happened six months after the tragic innocent, I still like to know what's going on.

Mike had been spending a lot of time in my house and it pissed Dad off greatly. I get that El and Mike are boyfriend and girlfriend, but they are always constantly kissing and in El's room which she can't leave just yet.

I looked out my mirror and saw flashing lights and it was my Dad's SUV. I sighed in annoyance and pulled over. I rolled down my window and I waited for my Dad to come and tell me off for speeding. I have a bad habit of spending just a little over the limit, but only a little. And by little, I mean 10km over. 

My Dad arrives with a serious look on his face as he's in the police uniform.

"Juno." He gives me a look, leaning on my car.

I smiled innocently at him. "Hi, Dad! Nice day, isn't it? Fancy seeing you on the roads—"

"Juno," Dad cuts me off sternly. "This is the third time this month I've pulled you over. You just got your driver's license too, don't make me take it away from you."

I pouted. "I'm sorry Dad, I was just in a rush to see—"

"Your boyfriend?" Dad raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, I know. But, kid, you gotta slow down and stick to the limit. You're lucky I'm not giving you any tickets."

"Coz you know you'd have to pay for them." I sweetly say, battering my eyelashes at him.

"No, I'd make you get a job." Dad glared. "This is your final warning, Juno. Don't speed again. Got it?"

I sighed loudly. "Okay, Dad. I won't speed."

"And you're lucky it's me." Dad rolled his eyes. "Be responsible, Juno. I swear to God if I find you in a car crash, I will kill you if the car crash hasn't."

"Dad!" I exclaimed, annoyed. "Okay, I get it. Can I please go now? It's getting dark." I looked out the window to see the sun was setting.

"And turn down your music!" Dad bewilders, noticing how loud it was playing.

"Okay!" I fired back, turning down my music. "Bye Dad, I'll see you at home."

"All right." Dad backs off and walks away from my car, I smiled happily and turned up the music just a wee bit before driving off towards the mall.

︾ 

I entered the mall feeling good about myself. I passed by the busy sea of people, the Star Court Mall is really popping off. But, due to that, downtown stores and going out of business and I know some people are mad about it which Dad is having to deal with.

I practical bounce towards Steve's work and seeing him in his cute sailor outfit makes me giggle as he stands at the register.

"Ahoy my fine lady!" Steve greets me happily as he spots me, I entered the back counter and wrapped my arms around him.