Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

"Check this out. The war-zone." Eddie had come back into Max's trailer with a book, placing it down on the table. "I've been there once. It's huge. They got everything you need for, uh... Well, killing things, basically."

"You think fake Rambo has enough guns there?" Robin asked. "Is that a grenade? I mean, how is any of this legal?"

"Because it's America," I respond quietly, rolling my eyes.

"Well, lucky for us it is, so..." Eddie continued. "This... This place is just far enough outside of Hawkins. As long as we steer clear of main roads, we oughta be able to avoid cops, and, uh, angry hicks."

"If we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't go to some store called the War Zone." Erica sasses.

"Normally, I'd agree, but we need weapons," Nancy tells us. "So, I think it's worth the risk."

"Me too." Lucas agreed.

"Me three." I nodded.

"Yeah, but is it worth the time?" Dustin asked. "It'll take all day to bike there and back."

"Who said anything about bikes?" Eddie asked.

"What, you got some car we don't know about?" Steve questioned him.

Eddie stands up, facing him. "It's not exactly a car, Steve. And it's not exactly mine, but, uh... It'll do." He turns to Max. "Hey, Red, uh, you got a ski mask or a bandanna, something like that?"

Max lifts her brow thoughtfully.

Now, Eddie peeks out from around a trailer wearing a Michael Myers mask. All of us were behind him. Holding a bag, he signals to us and we all crept forward, sneaking past a car and round a manufactor home. We break into runs, sneaking past a couple who has an RV. Moving along the far side of the RV, Eddie checked the windows and slid open the biggest one before jumping in.

Steve helped me climb in, and I smiled when he gave me a lift up. I tumble onto the couch, the others following.

"That was suffocating." Eddie sighed. Eddie locked the door. Eddie gets behind the wheel, he pulls tools out of his bag, yanks a bundle of wires from the steering wheel and cuts them. Steve and I were behind him.

"Where'd you learn how to do this?" Steve asked.

"Well, when the other Dads were teaching their kid how to fish or play ball, my old man was teaching me how to hot-wire," Eddie explained and I shrugged. "Now, I swore to myself I wouldn't wind up like he did, but now that I'm wanted for murder, and soon, grand theft auto. So, uh, I'm really living up to the Munson name."

"I feel the same way, while I should've been in a ballet class or something, my Dad was teaching me how to use guns," I spoke, and they looked at me. "What?" I asked innocently.

Robin comes in behind me. "Eddie, I'm not sure I love this idea of you driving."

"Oh, I'm just starting this sucker," Eddie tells her, looking at her. "Harrington's got her." He smiles and leans toward Steve. "Don't ya, big boy?"

Then, Eddie got it working. "Hey! Open this door!" The owners of the vehicle yelled out.

Steve quickly takes the wheel. "It's just a car." Steve had whispered. "Everybody, hang on to something!" I quickly ran down to the back, where Dustin and Max were on the back seat.

Steve hits the gas after Dustin yells at him to drive. "Shit, they looked pissed." Dustin pointed out as the owners looked super angry.

"I mean, it's not every day you lose your house and car in one fell swoop." Robin rushed out as we were all being tumbled around because of Steve's driving.

"Hold on! Hold on!" Steve makes a sharp turn, going onto the main road, going far away from the trailer park.

We had eventually slowed down as we knew we were not being chased by angry owners, which I felt bad about. I walked over to the front where Steve was before collapsing into shotgun seat.

"How's it handled?" I asked, glancing over at Steve.

"Not half bad," Steve replied. "Considering this is a... House." I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, it's... It's silly, but I... I've actually... I always had this dream that I'd have this really... Big family. I'm talking, like, uh, a full brood of Harringtons. Like, five, six kids."

"Six?" I questioned, a little shocked at that fact.

"Yeah." Steve responds. "Six little nuggets." I couldn't help but smile at that. "Three girls, three boys. And... And every summer, I figured all of us Harringtons, we would pack into something like this and... Just see the country. You know, the Rockies, Grand Canyon, maybe Yellowstone. End up in some beachside town in Californa. Spend a week parked in the sand. Learn how to surf or something."

"That sounds..." I bite my lower lip. "Like a dream."

Steve looked over at me, giving me this soft look. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," I respond tenderly back, smiling. "Expect the six kids part. That doesn't sound like it would be easy."

"If only I had practice." He gestured towards the kids at the back. I glanced over, seeing Max, Erica, Lucas, and Dustin. Only missing Mike, Will, and Eleven.

"All right. Yeah." I chuckled. I looked over at him, studying him a little bit more. He and I make eye contact, him giving me a small smile. "I hope she's okay."

"Eleven?" Steve guesses.

I nodded. "You know, I know she doesn't like to tell me, but I can tell she's been struggling at school and trying to make new friends and stuff. I think she's being bullied, but she always stays so strong."

"She's a tough kid." Steve agreed. "She can take on anything."

I kept my gaze on the road. I missed my family. I felt a hand on my thigh, and I looked down, seeing it was Steve. I looked at him; he was already looking at me. I take his hand, folding them with my mind and just simply holding it there.

We finally reached the War Zone, and we all piled in. It was just Erica, Robin, Steve, Max, Nancy, and I. The store was busy, which was concerning.

There were multiple signs up, Survival, Knives, Tents, anything.

"So much for avoiding angry hicks." Robin muttered.

"Let's be... Fast." Nancy suggested.

"Yep."

"Definitely."

"Let's go." I murmur, and Nancy and I spread off together, looking at the guns section. Nancy requested a shotgun and held it firmly; I, too, took a shotgun. "Think this will do it?" I asked her.

"Uh—How much is this?" Nancy asked the guy.

"120.99, but I'll throw in 20 rounds of buckshot for ya." The guy tells us, and we shared a look.

"Hey, can I see this real pretty .357, please?" Another voice asked, and we both stiffen, glancing at Jason. Shit. We both shared a look at each other. We angeled our faces away from him, hoping he doesn't see us. "Nancy Wheeler and Juno Hopper." I cringed as he noticed us. He gestures toward us with a revolver in his hand. "Wouldn't expect to find you here."

"Yeah, well, it's just... Scary times." Nancy replied.

I pursed my lips together. "Jason. Good to see you."

Jason smirked at me, the both of us knowing exactly what we did. "Looking well, Juno. I heard you moved to Cali."

"Well... Just needed a change." I stuttered a little bit. "I'm... I'm sorry about Chrissy."

He nods darkly. "Want my advice?" Jason asked. I tilt my head, gesturing for him to go on. "Shotguns are not good for much of anything past killing small birds." He steps closer to us. "I mean, they got power, sure, but not much range. And that's just gonna force you into close-range combat; then someone can just grab that barrel like...." Jason snatches the barrel of my shotgun, pulling it closer to him. "And redirect it. Well, you look nervous."

"Like Nancy said." My face hardens. "Scary times."

"Now," Jason looked over at Nancy. "Your brother, he, uh... Is he here with you guys by chance?"

"Mike?" Nancy quietly said, giving him a look.

"Mike," Jason repeated.

"No." Nancy shakes her head.

"I only ask because he's... He's in Hellfire, isn't he?" Jason asked, and I frowned.

"What's that?" I whispered to Nancy, and she brushed me off.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Nancy lied.

"What about his friends? They here with you?" Jason continued to question her, trying to manoeuvre around me to get close to her, but I stepped in front of him, glaring at him.

"Listen, Jason; we don't know what the hell you're talking about." I snapped. "So I suggest you leave us alone."

"Or what?" Jason tested.

"Leave." I forcefully said. Jason glares at us, before stepping away. I give Nancy a panicked look. "We gotta go."