Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Waiting nervously, Steve, Nancy, Jonathan, Mike, Dad, Max, Lucas, Dustin, Joyce, and unconscious Will is on the couch and I all wait around; for a backup plan. For once, the house is quiet.

Everyone is spread out. Joyce was in her bedroom, mourning over her boyfriend's death by the Demogorgons. I felt bad for her, really, I did. Jonathan and Nancy are standing by Will's unconscious body that lies on the couch.

The kids, Dad, and I are in the kitchen, spread around. The kids sat at the table while I lean on the kitchen counter, and my Dad is on the phone call for his Military friends to come.

"Sam Owens." Dad cuts my thoughts and I looked over at him. "Dr. Sam Owens." Pause. "I don't know how many people are there!" Steve turns around and walked towards me, leaning against the kitchen counter. "I don't know how many people are left alive! I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper!" Dad had growled into the phone. "Yes, the number that I gave you, yes. 6767... I will be there."

He roughly puts down the phone in the phone holder. Steve begins to pace around now, having his thinking face on.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin questioned, who was the only one standing. His hand placed on the kitchen table.

Dad turns around to them. "We'll see."

"We'll see?" Mike mocks. "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We'll stay here, and we wait for help." Dad speaks in a calmed voice. I frowned at those stupid words. Wait for help? Who is going to help us! No one, that's who. We need to do this, to not only save our town but to save the world from becoming overpowered with Demogrogons! His Milarties friends aren't going to stop this.

We are the only ones that have to do this.

Mike pouts as Dad turned on his foot, leaving the kitchen. He was clearly done with this conversation. It goes silent between us again. But, that's my Dad, no one ever argues with him. Ever.

It's dark outside, and I'm not even sure what the time is.

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked quietly, Mike looked up at me immediately.

"Down the hallway, to your left," Mike lazily pointed to where the bathroom could be. I nodded. I walked away from them, and when I turned my back, unwanted tears filled my eyes.

I was exhausted, hungry, and terrified... I have so many mixed feelings on the matter. I entered the bathroom once I found it and shut it, locking the bathroom. I looked around. There was a bathtub with a shower connected to it, and a toilet right beside it, with a sink.

I let out myself cry as I sink to the floor, my knees suddenly caving in. I want to go home—Not to the cabin, but our other place where Mom used to live with us. I want to have my little sister Sarah back, too. I want everything to just be normal for once.

I pulled my knees closer to me, tears dripping down my cheeks rapidly. I tried holding back a sob, but I couldn't. I was scared. I was scared that those monsters will come and kill us; that the world is ending. The world that I've barely begun to explore yet.

My heart squeezes for my Mom. I miss her so much. Why did she not want me? I thought she loved us. All I really want is to hug my Mom, tell her I love her and that I'm sorry for whatever I did wrong.

It doesn't make sense. I know Dad had a small drinking problem, okay, he was an alcoholic but he's gotten better now. Why can't she just move back with us?

Ever since El had come into our lives, Dad had gotten better. Better than he was, at least. El changed him. I guess El reminds him of Sarah, and he wants another chance, so he's taking the opportunity of having two daughters again. And, El reminds me of Sarah a little bit, too.