Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"The gate," Steve says as Russian scientists are watching the key, as it continues to work opening the gate. Through the windows in the door at the back of the room where Dustin, Steve, Robin, Erica and I are.

"The gate," Dustin confirmed.

"Ah, shit, the gate," I murmur, running a hand through my hair. I was stressed now.

"I don't understand," Robin says as we walked down the stairs to the comms room. "You've seen this before?"

"Not exactly," Dustin tells her as we entered the comms room.

"Then what, exactly?" Robin asked, annoyed.

"All you need to know is it's really bad," Dustin tells her.

"It's really bad," Steve repeated.

"Like, really bad." I stretched the word out, turning to Robin.

"Like, end of the human race as we know it kind of bad," Dustin concluded and I nodded in agreement.

"And you know this how?" Robin questioned.

"Um, Steve?" Erica asked, catching all of our attention. "Where's your Russian friend?"

The Russian soldier that Steve had knocked out earlier, had vanished. Then, an alarm erupts. Steve runs over to the exit. He opens the door. Steve quickly slammed the door shut and runs back to us before we run back to the observation room.

We bust through the doors and stopped. Seven Russian scientists stop what they were doing and turned back to look at us. Crap.

Dustin, Steve, Robin, Erica and I run downstairs and into the rift chamber as the soldiers burst in. We're all scurrying across the catwalk, reaching the end of the key, it's a beam of energy relentlessly working on opening the gate. I stare in slight awe.

As the soldiers get close, we run in the opposite direction, trying to get as far of them as possible. We go down another set of stairs, taking out a guy in a hazmat suit ascending the same stairs. More soldiers burst through the door.

Steve knocks over a stack of barrels, temporary blocking the soldier's path. "This way!" Robin called out to us, leading us into another room.

Steve closes the door. He uses his body weight to hold it closed as the soldiers try to force their way in. Dustin and Erica are searching for a way out.

"Help me!" Steve tells Robin who was close by. Robin runs over to Steve. Erica had found another way out.

"Here! Come on, let's go!" Erica exclaimed. Erica lifts up a grilled floorboard leading to the ventilation ducts and jumped in. Dustin is close behind and I'm close behind Dustin. Dustin jumps into, and I turned to Steve and Robin.

"Come on!" I pleaded to Steve.

"Just get out of here!" Steve yelled at me. We both make eye contact.

"I can't just leave you, come on!" I continued to beg him to come with me, he can't sacrifice himself for me.

"No!" Steve shakes his head. "Just get some help!"

My body was literally shaking, I felt like having a panic attack. Huge anxiety takes over me. "What are you doing?!" I cried.

"Juno, please, go!" Steve tells me, pleading in his eyes. "I love you. I can't let anything bad happen to you."

My voice cracks, tears streaming down my face hesterically. "I—I lo—"

"No! Tell me when we see each other again." Steve cuts me off, and my legs were shaking as I slowly lowered myself to the floor. "Go!"