Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Dustin is pacing through the back of Scoops Ahoy after exploring the rooftop one more time. Robin, Steve, and I are sitting at the table.

"The keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russians with this keycard also have a massive gun." Dustin began to explain to us what he saw. "Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

"But there's gotta be a way in," Robin tells us.

"Well, you know... I could just take him out." Steve says, causing all of us to stop and look at him.

"Take who out?" Robin raised an eyebrow.

"The Russian Guard," Steve says seriously.

Now I'm sceptical. "Steve, the only takeout you'll be doing is a date," I respond. "Even then, you're straight as hell."

"What?" Steve rolled his eyes. "I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy."

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin exclaimed.

"Yes, Dustin, I did." Steve retorts back. "And that's why I would be sneaking."

"Ah. Well, please, tell me this." Dustin looked at Steve seriously. "And be honest, when have you ever actually... Won a fight?"

"Okay, that was one time—"

"Twice." I cut in, holding up two fingers. "Jonathan. Year prior?"

Steve gives me a disapproving look. "Listen, that doesn't count."

"Why wouldn't it?" I asked. "Because it looked like he beat the shit out of you. You had a black eye, Steve."

"It was—"

"You got a fat lip, crooked nose, swollen eye, a lot of blood... Things that all add up to being beaten up in a fight." I began to argue with Steve.

"That's not what happened—"

"That is so what happened!" I exclaimed back. "I even hit you."

"Ooh!" Dustin cringed and Steve gives him a look. "What? She was there, I believe her."

"Thank you, Dustin." I gestured towards Dustin. "Steve, admit it, you aren't capable of a fight, and that is completely okay—"

"I am so!" Steve looked rilled up, looking at me in disbelief.

"That might just work," Robin says, catching all of us off guard. She enters the countertop of the. She grabs a fist full of cash from the tip jar. Steve and I watched from the sliding windows.

"Robin!" Steve exclaimed. Robin heads for the busy mall and Steve runs out the door. "Hey, Robin, what are you doing?"

"I need cash." Robin turns to Steve.

"Well, half of that is mine," Steve complained. "Where are you going?"

"To find us a way into that room." Robin began to back away. "A safe way. And, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up. I'll be back in a jiff."

Dustin licks an Icecream scoop and Steve takes it away. "Oh, dude. Come on, not my scooper."

Steve twirls the scoop around his finger like an old-timey Western Gunslighter before slipping it into his scooper holster.

︾ 

Robin came back 20 minutes later, with Blueprints of the Starcourt Mall. She spreads it on the table, Steve, Dustin and I surrounding her.