Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

I gasped as I entered the Upside Down. It looked like our world, but a lot darker and scarier. My heart was racing as I didn't know what to do. Or where to find Steve.

Suddenly, Robin, Eddie, and Nancy popped up beside me, holding an ore. "I told you guys to stay," I told them, glaring at them.

"We thought you'd need help." Robin holds up an ore, and I take it from her. We looked around for a minute before I saw Steve being strangled in the distance by some bats. My heart was thumping with adrenaline as I run over with Nancy, Robin, and Eddie.

Using the ore, I smacked the bat with an ore that was clawing at Steve's stomach. "Hey there." I greeted, and I smacked the other bat away from him. Robin stands on the tail of the bat choking Steve and I smashed my ore into them repeatedly.

"Shit!" Eddie cursed, and I looked over seeing the many devil bats coming our way. A singular bat comes Eddie's way, and he hits it with an ore. "Juno, behind you! Watch out!" A bat latches onto me, and I let out a small squeal, Robin grabs onto its tail and pulls.

"Get it off!" I cried out, Nancy going to help Robin, tugging and pulling. Robin yanks the bat off me and I gasped out in pain. Robin flings it down, and Nancy grabs the ore and kills it. Steve was whipping him into the ground by its tail, he had managed to get it off him.

The pain was throbbing in my right shoulder, and I knew it was bleeding. Eddie stabs the broken end of his ore into a bat and then pushes it into the ground.

We all turned to Steve, who continued to thrash his bat against the ground, then stepped on its head and yanked its tail, ripping the creature in half. Blood drips from Steve's mouth, which hangs open exhaustedly.

"Steve!" I run over to Steve as Steve bends over.

"Jesus H. Christ!" Eddie snapped, throwing his ore to the ground.

"Are you okay?" I asked Steve quickly, my heart still thumping. He turned to me, and his entire stomach was bleeding out.

"Well, they took about a pound of flesh," Steve spoke. "But other than that, yeah, never better."

"Uh, do you guys think these bats have like, rabies?" Robin asked.

"What?" Steve questioned her.

"It's just that rabies are like, my number one fear," Robin confesses. "And I think we should get you to a doctor soon because once the symptoms set in, it's too late. You're already dead." Steve and I just stare at Robin.

A screech was in the distance, and a couple more of the devil bats come flying our way. We gathered around each other, the creatures pearch around the gate. "All right. There's not that many." Steve informed us. There were about 5. They turned to us and screeched. "We can take 'em. Right?"

"I'm not liking the chances." I gulped. And then, another dozen more come flying our way in the distance.

"You were saying?" Robin asked. Nancy turns to a tree line behind us.

"The woods. Come on." Nancy insisted, and I didn't think about it twice before following down the dark path and towards the woods, red lighting above us.

"Great," Robin spoke behind us. "More running."

We had found Skull Rock, and I was peeking up at the sky, the devil bats were above, yet I had no idea where we were lucky. There were more than a dozen, my guess was like, 50.

White particles were floating through the air as we finally ventured out from underneath the Skull Rock.

"Oh... Okay." Robin breathes. "That was close." The swam had past us.