A Helping Hand (trans!JBM fic!)

CW: for transphobia in this one. I know it's pride month and we're all trying to be happy with our identities, but the gist of it is not everybody is allowed that. That said, stay safe and have fun this pride month.

HC: proud, out trans!Jackie. He's a hero in ways people never knew he could be; not everybody likes or accepts this part of him.

.

There was something odd in the air tonight, Jackie could feel it. He didn't know what it was, but he felt sad because of it.

He was scoping out an area of the city heavily populated with families with many young kids when it first started, and he decided to hang around, just in case.

That's when he heard the yelling.

A woman's voice, shouting about something he couldn't make out. He travelled across several roofs, making himself small so he could hide and get a better view, and ending up right across the street from a white brick two-story. In the doorway, he could see the woman waving what looked like a school notebook in a young teenager's face.

The teenager looked frightened, backing slowly away, their foot looking for the edge of the step.

Before Jackie knew it, he was on the ground, having used his super-speed to catch the teen as they lost their balance and fell.

The teen looked up at him in awe and he just smiled, looking up at the teen's mother who didn't look at all grateful he might have just saved her kid from a concussion.

Jackie stood, bringing the teen to their feet with him, and patted them on the back as they tried to find the words to thank him.

"You're welcome," was all he said to the obviously struggling and shaken up kid.

As he stood there holding them, he watched out of the corner of his eye as their mother tossed the notebook to the ground and began to close the door, but he jumped to stick his foot in so she couldn't, putting the teen behind him.

Her eyes shot to him, burning with anger, but no tears or remorse to be found. "Filth, both of you," she spat, eyes trained on Jackie like a challenge.

"Excuse me?" Jackie asked, barely taken aback. He'd dealt with angry parents before, directed at both him and their own kids. It really didn't take a genius to understand what she was implying with the insult.

She opened the door back up, only to step outside and come face to face with him. She was taller, sure, but not by much. He could match her if he really tried, but he found it better to seem smaller in these instances—they knew he could hold his own.

"You heard me. You, them, and anyone else like you." The pronoun used was mocking and it made Jackie grit his teeth to keep from replying too quickly. "I won't let you corrupt my other babies."

Jackie felt the teen grab onto his sweater with a tight fist.

"You're right, I heard you, just thought you might want to take the chance to amend yourself, but obviously that's out the window." He kept his tone low. He wasn't trying to scare the kid.

The woman scoffed. "You're delusional if you think looking like a man makes you one."

"I don't really care how much or less of a man you think I am, but if you ever yell at a child again, I will make sure there are consequences. If I'm not a man, you're much less of a mother."

She didn't respond, body visibly shaking with so much anger Jackie was sure she would explode. He leaned down to grab the notebook off the ground and handed it to the teen behind him, then took them by the shoulder and began walking away, the door slamming behind them.

"I'm sorry about her," the teen mumbled once the two stopped to sit on a bench at a park down the street.

"Hey, no worries!" Jackie smiled but quickly noticed the teen wasn't. He dropped it, getting a little serious. "Did you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. I've been dealing with her for a while so there's too much to say, plus most of it's not really nice..."

Jackie leaned over, putting his elbows onto his knees. "Yeah, I can understand that."

The teen looked at him, then handed him their notebook. "This is what she got so mad about. My friends at school have been writing things in here since I came out to them and gave it to me today. I got so excited I forgot my mom checks my backpack every day after school and didn't get a chance to hide it. I guess their support was her last straw."

Opening the notebook, Jackie could see inside tens of pages of letters and notes from the same three people, with several others every few pages. "This was incredibly sweet of them. To know you have that kind of support can be life-changing, your friends seem awesome!"

"Yeah..." the teen got downcast. "I just wish I'd have remembered not to bring it home. She just got so angry, it upset my little siblings. I tried to calm her down, but then she cornered me by the door and it swung open behind me. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't been around. You have no idea how lucky I was."

"Hey, all in a day's work."

Jackie continued to listen to everything the teen talked about. They went back to talking about their friends and how they came out to them, and even some of their collection of Jackieboy drawings.

As it got later, Jackie tried to figure out how to break it to them that they had to figure out where to go, but they could tell his focus was elsewhere.

"Guess it's time for you to go back to work saving the city, huh?" They smiled at Jackie and he noticed the endearing little bit of lopsidedness to it, smiling back.

"Well, I don't have a work schedule or anything, kid. But I think it may be you who needs to find someplace safe, at least until tomorrow so I can deal with your mum."

The teen frowned, focusing their attention back on the ground in front of them. "My friend's parents can talk to her, they've been friends themselves for a long time. I really don't want to put that responsibility on you, you probably already have so much to deal with and-"

"Listen," Jackie said gently. "It's my job to help those in need. Sometimes that includes just talking people down from anger where they could hurt themselves or others, and I care especially for kids who might be in any sort of danger. I don't want this situation to get any more drastic. But for now, let's get you someplace safe."

The teen nodded. "Okay."