Out For Blood

A/N: TW for police and guns and death.

.

Fast footsteps chasing after slightly slower footsteps, the hero chasing the villain.

Well, by Jackie's standards, the word "villain" may have been a bit harsh--the guy had robbed a few banks over the past week, hadn't harmed anyone in doing so, and as Jackie had found out, he was only doing it to feed his three kids.

But that still didn't give him the right to take other people's cash instead of accepting the help Jackie had been so desperately offering. Instead, the fucker ran at the first sign of the hero's face.

Jackie didn't intend on giving up so easily, and he had a plan for once he caught him. It was all just a matter of getting him somewhere safe, out of the daylight, especially at the first sounds of police cars rapidly approaching the area. With Jackie's track record, they wouldn't hold fire.

"Stop! Please!" he called, still hoping the man would somehow change his mind and listen. Dark eyes flashed back to him briefly before the man turned into an alley.

A police car also just so happened to turn the corner, spotting the man just in time and advancing the vehicle to trap him. Jackie sped up.

He climbed up the back of the police car, made his way to higher ground on a dumpster, and stepped down in front of the car just as the officer stepped out with his weapon at the ready.

Startled, the bank robber also unholstered his gun, holding what Jackie knew was an empty weapon up in front of Jackie himself.

"Come on, man. Please. You don't want to do this. Please." Jackie took to begging. All that was left was getting down on his knees in front of the man, something he was entirely willing to do if asked. "You're gonna get yourself killed, just put the gun down and stop this. Please!"

"I'll kill him!" The robber didn't listen, waving the gun into the officer's line of sight. "I'll kill your hero!"

"You won't kill me. You can't," Jackie almost laughed at the absurdity of the robber's comment. Did the man have a death wish? He turned to the police with what he hoped was a pitying look in his eyes. "He can't hurt anybody, his gun's empty. Don't--don't hurt him."

The police's eyes never left the robber's form behind Jackie. With Jackie's back turned the robber lost some of his confidence.

"We can't take that risk, and you know it. Stand down, Jackieboyman." The officer muttered something into his radio as two more cars blocked off the exit behind him.

Jackie turned back to the robber. Trying to diffuse the situation from the officers' end wasn't working. Even begging the bad guy wasn't. If he didn't do something, there would be bloodshed, and that was not something he wanted to see today. Not from an otherwise kind, single father.

"Okay, I can see my normal methods aren't working. Just... give me the gun." He held his hand out expectantly, but this only seemed to set the robber off more. He aimed the empty gun right straight at Jackie's head. For a second, Jackie started to doubt it was really empty.

He swallowed a bit, still expecting to have something in his arsenal of pleads or quips he could use to diffuse or distract, but he came up empty. What was that feeling? Anxiety? Did his body think he was actually going to die right now?!

"Martin!" he shouted suddenly. In his daze, his expression had dropped from the peppy, slightly nervous one to something more stern. He clenched his teeth, talking through them, "Give me the fucking gun."

Martin shook his head. His voice was thin as he responded, "I'm sorry, Jackie."

The piercing sound of a bullet dislodging from its casing rang out through the air. Martin had narrowly missed his aim, but the fast-moving metal still clipped Jackie's ear and continued back until it hit the officer in the shoulder.

Several more bullets shot out, all of them casing themselves in Martin's frame, and the man hit the ground, lifeless.

Jackie hadn't even realised he'd also fallen to the ground the moment he'd been hit. He was disoriented in a bad way, the world spinning around him, but the image of Martin was clear as day in his mind.

He could vaguely register voices around him calling out orders and the distant whirring of an ambulance.

So many sounds, but his brain wasn't actually comprehending much except the anger he was feeling, so the second someone touched his shoulder, he snapped.

His free hand found its way around one of the officer's necks, squeezing with all the superstrength he could muster until his eyes were bulging and his skin was blue to match his uniform. The sound of a snap finished the whole thing off.

Yelling was aimed at him, but he ignored it for the better. Jackie got his legs under him again and started to leave the alley but was blocked by two more officers, now less concerned for Jackie's well-being and more for his hand in being the death of one of their own.

Of course, Jackie thought.

His hand found its way to the stomach of one of them, his mind pleading with him to rip into the skin like some sort of monster. He stared into her eyes with tear-filled, blurry vision so that he couldn't even see her face, but he recognised the lifeless slump against his own body and the feeling of more hands on his arms, his shoulders.

At this point, the physical pain was irrelevant. It was all about the emotional toll. Jackie wasn't even there.

.

When Jackie finally woke, he was slumped against the side of a police vehicle, the loud 'whoop whoop' of the siren and the blue and red flashing lights above him taking up the night sky. His body faced the street, and he looked around for any indication of what had brought him here.

A dull ache in his ear and his head made him bring his hand up, but he noticed the fingertips were soaked in blood, red against red but even more vibrant. The ground he sat on was also soaked, and he had a feeling he didn't want to look beyond the car he was sitting against, but he had to let the curiosity get the better of him.

Retched-up stomach acid soon joined the mix of liquids on the ground, and Jackie quickly found it in himself to leave the area, and the 30 or so bodies, behind.