Inspiration for a Rainy Day (JBM)

Little fic inspired by my own art. If you're having a bad day, a bad week, or just need a little extra lift, I hope this helps :)

****

A scheduled livestream, only sometime after Jack released his video for the day. It was surprising, but welcome - at least it would end the day off on a good note...

You sat down on your bed with a mug of cocoa, just listening to the light rain outside your window as you waited for the notification to pop up. One more minute...

The countdown to the hour started and you got cozy. The stream title was vague, but not quite cryptic - "Inspiration/Encouragement for a Rainy Day" - but the thumbnail was another thing; simply a smiling Jack sitting close to the camera, with a familiar blue superhero mask settled atop his head. An ego video, but a streamed one? Weird.

3... 2... 1...

The screen flashed to life and there he was, sitting in the gaming chair and wearing his red spandex suit. Surprisingly, it still fit after all these years. He didn't speak for a moment, looking to the side at another monitor, probably waiting to see if the stream was working before smiling big and nodding at something, then finally facing the camera.

"Hey guys!" He started immediately. "So you're wondering what's going on here, huh? Yes, I can see you in the chat," he laughed and sat back, getting comfortable. He pulled his legs up and curled his arms around them like a hug and continued. "Call me Jackieboy, if you want. Jackie works too. Most of you know who I am, but for those who don't, I'm an ego you created! Thank you for that."

As an ego theorist yourself, this almost made you tear up. He was thanking you for helping create him. And what an honour it was.

"Weird streaming time? Yeah, perhaps it is kind of late. I couldn't sleep." By your calculations, it was 2 am in Brighton. Jack, you silly... "And by that logic, I felt it was the perfect time to stream! Just wanted to spend time with you guys, I guess." He looked to the chat again. "If it's too late and you have stuff to do later, go. You can always rewatch this. Aside from spending time though, I also had a little message for you. You watching, or listening, depending on if you're doing anything in the background. You...

You're doing great, even if you don't think so or your mental illness tells you otherwise. You're doing the best you can, no matter how much or little that actually is. And if you've had a rough day, or week, or, hell, even the entire year, it will get better sooner or later. Hopefully sooner, of course. And sometimes there's nothing you can do, so the best you can do is be patient, and that's okay too. I promise, it's worth it; the wait or the final result of whatever it is that's going on.

And if you have any ongoing projects that you're struggling to finish, it's all right to take breaks. I've learned that the hard way, as a superhero and all," he winked at the camera but you barely noticed through the tears clouding your vision. "Sometimes all you need to hear is some encouragement and I hope this can be that push to those of you who need it.

It will turn out okay; it will be worth it. I— we promise. All of us, egos and Seán."

He smiled and you noticed he had tears in the corners of his eyes too, but he tried to keep them away by rubbing at his face.

As soon as he looked back up his eyes drifted to the chat. "You want me to say... okay, sure, if it gets you motivated." Jackie quickly put his hand up in a thumbs up position at the camera and smiled big, "You can do the thing! I believe in you! That good?" He giggled.

"If you guys have any other requests, I'd be happy to fulfill them as we talk. Yes, yes, then I'll sleep. Let's do this."

You fell asleep watching the stream, your cocoa going cold on the bedside table, but happiness on your mind and pleasant dreams filling your head all night long.

****

Hi! I've been feeling down and needed a boost of my own lately (hence the drawing), then had some energy left to write and... I did, I guess. It's not much but it's something!! and I hope it helps you too, especially on those days where everything seems to be going down the bad lane. I don't really write insert reader fics anymore but I figured I could let it slide this time since it's about YOU, the reader!! Have a nice day/night and I wish you pleasant days ahead :) Happy 2020!

(Wrote this around Christmas but decided to wait to post it until I needed it, which is now. I truly hope it helps! Toodles!