A Normal Day

A/N: So, basically, I forgot Wattpad existed and now I have to play catch up. It's only like 3 or 4 one-shots, so I'm sorry lol

.

The computer in the corner of the room called to him as soon as he arrived home with the bags of groceries he’d finally managed to get out to acquire. His cupboards had been bare for two weeks, ordering takeout and nothing else, making his little bit of savings dwindle quickly. The trip to the store had been a dangerous feat, though, considering the reason he’d locked himself away for so long.

He caught himself staring at that beloved and loathed piece of equipment as usual but, for once, self-control won, making him break his eyes away from the dark screen. The curtains surrounding the window next to the computer blew lightly in the breeze from a small crack he couldn’t fix, but it was barely enough to even notice. The room was bright anyway with the sunlight outside. He was safe.

Or safe enough.

He toted the bags along to the kitchen in the next room over, getting everything out to sort into his cupboards: cans and boxes. The fruit sat out on the counter and he had gotten a couple of quick freezer meals as well. The job was done in no time and he wondered why he hadn’t just done this sooner. Now he had no money left until the next time his job paid (the small amount it did) but at least he had some slightly better food.

And just as he stood there, proud and nearing distraction, the computer pinged to life; well, not the computer, more like the motion sensor that was connected to make it turn on in a hurry. But he didn’t have time to get to it right now, hearing the window already opening.

Jackie whipped around, sucking in a breath as he pulled the hood of his red sweater up to shadow his face and pressed himself to the wall. It was the best he could do with an open kitchen like this, though a knife might also come in handy—something to shove into the intruder’s stomach.

As the window was still being pried open, he took a run for the counter, keeping to the wall so he could see every angle of the room he was in, in case the intruder came in here. Then, clutching the metal knife to his chest, he waited.

Footsteps dropped down onto the hardwood, heavy (army?) boots making noise for but a second before their stealth instincts kicked in. Jackie could see their shadow projecting onto the wall and slowly made his way back to the entrance of the kitchen, knife primed and ready.

And when the time came, he struck.