Chapter 11

Seth POV:

I wake to the concrete below me. Some birds stand dutifully over me when I finally open my eyes in the morning, cooing softly and bobbing their heads back and forth as they wander curiously around me. They've formed a small mob around me, wary of this strange person who has fallen asleep curled up on their roof, and don't seem the least bit startled when I jump up in surprise.

I stare down at the small entourage, which is gathering on top of the roof that I'm used to as a bed, secretly freaking out because whoa, don't these things have other works to take care of than circling me? And holy shit, did I fall asleep on top of a building without realizing it? Ugh, how did I end up here? Did Dean scare me out that much?

I'm suddenly very aware of my wings on display and hope that no one has come up to the roof or watched from a distant building. The birds continue their activity of watching me, which I find very eerie. Did they think I'm just a really weird-looking thing? Maybe.

I try to shoo them away and manage to ward them off for a few moments, but they eventually come right back, seeming to bring more of themselves with them. Finding no escape from the birds, I run a hand through my hair and yawn, wondering what time it is. It's really not a good idea to fly around in broad daylight, regardless of what hour of the morning it is.

Guessing by the commotion coming from the street below, it is time for sleep, so nine then? But I had enough sleep already, so I'd taken care of something now. If the morning commute noises are anything to go by. I figure I can take the rooftop stairs down to the ground floor and go away. That will be smarter than trying to fly away, right?

Much to my dismay, the stairwell door has locked. Banging on it to attract someone's attention is a definite no-go. I don't know what type of building this is and who is to say that there is even someone within hearing vicinity to open the door? It's all my fault. It would've been even better if I had avoided falling asleep up here, though. I'd just been so damn tired after flying and dozed off when I rested on the roof.

A gentle cooing snaps me out of my thoughts. The birds have gathered at my ankles, looking expectantly up at me. "What?" I ask, trying to know their needs. When the reason finally clicks in my mind, I hold my hands out and try to explain them. "Well, I don't have any food, but I can help you because I'm a fairy, even though not a weird creature."

If the birds understand, they will behave and be good. I sigh and make it to walk back toward the stairwell. The birds dutifully follow at my heels, and I don't appreciate it. "Hey, move it. I'm on my word. I'm just trying to check the lock." I say, picking my feet up higher. "I don't want to step on one of you guys. Don't walk so close to me."

Instead, they all disperse in a gray cloud, feathers flying and beating around my head as they surge up into the air. It takes me a moment to realize what has happened and process the distinct sound of whirring blades above me. Ah, fuck. I dare to turn around, only slightly, just enough to see the helicopter nearing the building. What's that? Is it trying to capture me and take all my powers?

Maybe. Guess I'll have to fly in the morning after all. I bolt toward the edge of the building in the opposite direction of the helicopter and jump off. I veer around the corner, heading back the way the helicopter has come. In a few seconds, I feel the helicopter is not chasing my tail, so I break off and land on someone's balcony. Leaning against the railing, I bite my lip nervously and look for the helicopter. There's no evidence of it. Did I misunderstand that thing was chasing me?

Smoothing my hair down, I finally let myself exhale and try to come up with something. No flying this time. I made a decision, and I'd to keep it up. I look up at the door of the balcony that I'm hiding out on and hope there's no one on the other side because if anyone does, I will seriously go to have some explaining to do. Taking a deep breath, I slide the glass door open and get inside the room.

The room is large and slightly warmer. There are some shoes in the corner and two more doors. One leads to a bathroom that I can see because the door is slightly open. The other is which I don't know. A king-sized bed has been placed on the left side, and someone is lying on it. Thankfully, the person is wrapping the blanket over their head so they can't see me.

Right next to the bed is a shelf, and laundry is lying in front of it on the floor. I walk past all those and notice my reflection on the television screen, which is the only quite adorable thing in the room. There is some furniture also placed here and there. That's it. It isn't fancy; everything looks ugly and a little dirty. If something like this, we, the fairies, had found in our land, we would have burned it down.

I open my mouth to say something about it, but instead of words, all that comes out is the beeping of an alarm clock. I startle, feeling my breath hitch in my throat. "Oh no," I yelp and look around the room to find the cause of the sound before running over to the bedside table and fumbling to turn the alarm off.

The house is quiet, but it is only a matter of time before the sleeping person gets up. My eyes widen forthwith when I realize whose room I'm invading. It shouldn't have happened. I have bad ideas sometimes, but this might be the worst that I've had in my entire life. Of all those people, I just stuck with Dean Ambrose in no time!

I stare blankly at him for only a few seconds, but it feels like minutes. I feel my face become increasingly hot, and I know I have to be so red in the face that my embarrassment is obvious. I look dumbfounded and confused about how all this happened, but his eyes wander up and down my body, which causes me to feel pretty uncomfortable in my skinny, lanky teenage body. I swallow finally and take a deep breath before saying. "Um, sorry." I duck my head and step backward.

He cocks his head to the side, clearly impressed by the well-thought-out comment that comes out of my mouth. Keeping muster under his breath, he leans against the headboard and chuckles. And that's saying something. He has an annoying knack for getting into people's heads, under their skin like a parasite. "So?" He looks at me as if he expects something from me.

"So..?" I'm unsure of what to say or do. That makes Dean chuckle again.

"Just saying what I heard," He clarifies and brings a silence between us for a moment. He then looks my face over like he wants to devour me completely, which makes me swift from one foot to another. It doesn't seem right. He's watching me intently, mouth slightly open and tongue darting out to wet his lips. "You should stop looking like that half-innocent, half-playful, or things might happen."

"What things?" I sound annoyed. I'm still upset over the fact that I don't get it.

"I'll probably put you over in my bed and fuck the life out of you." He doesn't even bat an eye but barely scoots to the edge of the bed, allowing his legs to dangle over the side. His eyes then gleam at me, closely watching what I'm into.

My jaw drops that I've never met someone so unapologetically blunt. I haven't meant to give that much of myself away, and I can tell from the way he looks over at me again that I catch precisely all of the things in his comment that I don't want to go through. I swallow hard, twirling my fingers at my side and producing magic for support if I need any.

He smirks and tries to hold back chuckles before getting up from the bed and standing face-to-face with me. At first, I guess the blond is coming after me, and I actually get into serious trouble, but instead, he actually laughs at me, and I think that might surprise him from my little jump. "You're still doing that look. It's driving me kinda fucking crazy." His fingers reach out and tap on my cheek gently. "Wait here. I'll be in a minute."

I open my mouth to speak, but he interrupts me before I can with a further statement. My eyes widen and he seems like he just read my mind. I nod and watch him go toward the other door that I still don't know. I bite my lip and get one last look at him, feeling a knot in my stomach when I see the smirk he has on his face as he looks back at me before disappearing through the door.