[ 008 ] the monsters we share.

— CHAPTER EIGHT.
the monsters we share.

IN HER HASTE TO find Daryl, she forgets that Kathleen will return to the infirmary and find her missing. The woman will be angry, furious at Carson for letting her go. But when Kathleen finds Odessa, the teen will be ready for her and she will kill her.

She will not spend another goddam night in this horrible place. Her family needs her: Carl, Rick, Judith, Theo, Michonne, Maggie. They all need her right now. Daryl is depending on her go rescue him and get both of them the hell out of the Sanctuary.

She can't help but scoff to herself as she creeps through the halls. The Saviors? The Sanctuary? What a fucking joke! There people are no such things. This place is not a sanctuary.

Odessa and her people have had a run in with a place that claimed to be a sanctuary. Finding Terminus was the result of many horrible things. The death of Bob, Odessa's— the event that ruined Odessa for good.

The Saviors are not gifts from God. They are evil and malicious. Soldiers that blindly follow a psycho with a barbed wire bat and a leather jacket. Maybe that's why they follow him; because they think he's cool or interesting. However, she knows that isn't true. Negan would kill anyone that disobeyed him... or their friends, their family.

Odessa witnessed that first hand. When Daryl hit Negan across the face Negan decided the group didn't understand anymore than they did before he killed Abraham. So Negan backed up until he stood in front of a pair of best friends. Glenn Rhee and Odessa Grimes.

Odessa wished it was her. She had nothing to live for except her siblings and father. Carl and Rick would mourn her loss, then they would recover. And Judith probably wouldn't even remember her. Instead, Negan killed a good man. He beat Glenn to death in front of his wife that bares their child. A child that will grow up without their father, without ever having the chance to meet the man that helped create them.

Even now as she attempts to escape this hell, her heart still aches. Her heart longs for Glenn and Abraham to come back. They didn't deserve it. God, they didn't deserve their deaths. Negan ripped their lives and their futures away from the two men. And it kills Odessa. Glenn and Abraham deserved to be happy, they deserved their families.

And in the end, Negan took that from them.

Odessa silently creeps around the corner but presses her back against the wall when she hears talking. There are two men: rowdy, possibly drunk. She readies the scalpel in her hand.

When the first man rounds the corner, she jams the scalpel straight into his neck. As she yanks it out, his arterial blood spews from the wound, coating her shirt.

She has no time to recover from the brutal murder because the second man rounds the corner. He stood dead in his tracks. He looks to Odessa then his friend and back to Odessa. He sees the bloody scalpel in her hand. "What the fuck?"

She attacks. The man is taken aback by the girl's sudden movement. But she's slower than normal. Her injuries and time unconscious has weakened her.

The man blocks her attempt at stabbing him. He grabs her arm and twists it behind her back. She lets out a cry of pain when she feels her bones shift in her right hand. And when the bones snap, she screams. Tears rush to her eyes. The red scalpel clatters to the ground.

She throws her head back. The back of her connects with the man's face. He cries out and. lets go of her. She stumbles forward and whirls around to face the man.