[ 022 ] mercy.

— CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO.
mercy.

IT'S LIKE A DREAM.

No.

It's like a nightmare.

She sits in the middle of an empty field, salty tears fall down her pale face.

They can't seem to stop.

She reaches up and clutches her chest.

It hurts so bad.

Why does it hurt so bad?

She bows her head.

A loud, inhuman sound slips past her lips.

Someone says her name.

When she looks up, he stands in front of her.

Why did it have to be him?

odessa grimes, three days before the battle against the saviors.

A van pulls to a stop on the side of the road. A pair of siblings gets out. Odessa Grimes looks around for any threat as her brother walks around the back of the van and grabs a gas can.

"You know Dad isn't gonna be happy with us," Odessa tells her brother as they start to walk.

Carl shrugs, "we need gas. Dad knows we can hold our own."

"Yeah maybe against walkers and other people but not against our father," Odessa rolls her eyes.

Carl sends her a look.

They look around at everything outside the gas station. There's numerous parked cars with skeletal dead bodies inside. There's broken bikes and children's toys.

Odessa shakes her head at the sight. It's sad.

They approach the actual gas station, Carl gets ready to see if there's any gas in a car.

"Hi," comes a voice neither of them know. 

The gas can clatters go the ground as both Grimes siblings pull their guns from their holsters.

"I'm okay. I mean, I'm not, but... I've been shot at. Someone threw a microwave at me." The man says.

Odessa's brows furrow. A microwave?

"So, I— I'm just gonna say something my mom used to say and hope for the best here. 'Whatever you have of good, spend on the traveler.' My mom said that— that helping the traveler, the person without a home— that's everything." The man continues.

Odessa looks over at her brother and nods. Slowly, Odessa and Carl both creep in different directions in attempt to find the man and trap him between the barrels of their guns.

"I'm sure you've seen things, been through things, that you don't trust people. I get it. I get it. I don't, either. I've been through things, too." The man keeps on.