[ 038 ] life and all its hardships.

— CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT.
life and all its hardships.

"IT WAS VERY DRIPPY before."

"Was it drippy? That's okay."

"I'm going to make it into a heart!"

"Okay, that's fine. That's fine. Go ahead."

Sixteen months. A year and a half. It's been a year and half since the war ended. A lot has changed since then. A little girl has grown like a weed. Little Judith Grimes is a newly fresh three year old. And a daring one at that. She's as mischievous as her big brother was when he was a toddler. Her curls are a dirty blonde, growing to match the brown hair of the Grimes family more and more. Her eyes are also a brown, she got those eyes from their mother. Lori Grimes. Her sister refuses to believe it's from the monster that hurt their family so much.

Not only that but it's been a year and half since Carl Grimes died. His grave is well taken care of, perhaps the most clean grave in their cemetery. A letter C is made of several rocks, curtesy of his big sister and his adopted older brother. A cross now resides at the head of the grave. His name is carved into it, along with a heart. His sisters and his brother visit his grave every day. They tell him stories about the new world their father made for them, for him. His sister tells him about how she listened, about how Cori helps take care of her now.

"It's dripping from the heart." Judith exclaims as she looks at the red paint that slowly rolls down the painting. The red mixed with the orange of the painted Cori Ackler's hair. Judith just continues on painting the picture. "It's okay."

"Cause the heart's so full." Michonne says. "Is that why?"

"Some is dripping on Cori!" Judith announces with a gasp.

"Oh, no!" A now seven year old Brielle says as she joins her family on the porch. She has two cups of water in her hand. She hands one to the oldest Grimes daughter as she approaches. She smiles at the girl she's taken under her wing and kisses her forehead.

"It's okay," Odessa Grimes pipes from Judith's other side. "Cori's already got red hair."

"You wanna tell us about the painting?" Michonne glances between her daughters and Brielle. When her eyes lock with Odessa's a grin forms on her lips. Odessa can't help but smile back.

"That's our house. And Ellie. And Aunt Maggie. And the King. And Cori and Flynn. And all our friends!" Judith explains to them. Odessa's heart fills with love and happiness as she watches her baby sister.

"Who's the grumpy face?" Comes a new voice.

All four Grimes women turn around to look at Rick Grimes. He stands in the doorway, still in his pajamas with a graying beard that's more up-kept than the one from he had so very long ago. His hair is cut very awkwardly, thanks to Odessa. Rick looks happy because he is happy.

The small dog beside Odessa's feet lifts her head to look at the man. The golden retriever puppy is lucky to be alive, especially in the condition Odessa found her in.

Odessa shifts. She loves her father. More than anyone in the world besides her baby sister. But she remembers. She remembers the day the war ended. What he did. She knows Rick kept Negan alive for Carl because that's what Carl wanted. Peace. Peace is what they've had. Everything has been going smoothly with only a few small issues from the Saviors. They transitioned into a new life better than anyone though they would. It
went from Negan's world to everyone's world.