[ 024 ] old friend, why are you so sad?

— CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.
old friend, why are you so sad?

"MY SISTER," WHISPERS A voice.

Blue eyes turns to the source of the voice. Her vision is blurred by the sunlight.

A figure kneels in front of her. The light shines on him as if he's an angel.

He is her angel.

She reaches up, hoping he will take her hand one last time.

He does.

He smiles weakly at her.

She blinks.

And he's gone.

odessa grimes, the search for the guns at the office outpost.

Everyone dies.

It's inevitable.

Everyday someone will die. Whether it's a bullet to the chest, a walker bite to the neck, old age. It's not the matter of how, it's the matter of when.

Odessa wonders when she's going to die.

She never wonders how.

Whether it be the black blood cells that are slowly corrupting her red and white blood cells or her own blades. Nothing will kill Odessa Grimes but herself. It'll be herself and herself only.

Not Negan, not walkers, not Kathleen.

Nothing can kill a Grimes but a Grimes.

The compound where the guns are hidden is nicer than any other compound. The building towers over them.

Rick and Odessa take out the guards standing outside the door. Their blood and brain matter sprays across the glass.

Thirty-two.

Daryl, Rick, and Odessa go inside first. The others follow. With their guns raised, they round a corner.

"Signal if they're already inside. We'll be there." Rick tells the three men.

"Come on. Let's find the guns." Daryl gruffly says. And with that, the search for the guns begins.

The guns aren't on the ground floor.

Odessa searches by herself despite Rick asking her to stick with him. She's fully capable of taking care of herself.

They run into no problems as they search every floor of the office outpost. They have to climb the elevator shaft with every passing floor. When they finally reach the final floor, Odessa asks what Daryl is thinking. "Did Dwight lie?"

"He said they'd be here," Daryl follows up.

"Everything else he passed you checked out," Rick tells Daryl.

"That guy's a piece of shit," Daryl says.

"Those guns get to the Sanctuary, they could cut through those walkers and free up an exit." Rick looks at Daryl. "We'll move faster if we split up. I find the M2s, you find 'em, we use them, hit the courtyard right then and there."