[ 015 ] moments before diaster.

— CHAPTER FIFTEEN.
moments before disaster.

mentions of rape

ANGRY. BETRAYED. HURT. PISSED.

Odessa can't believe her father left her and Daryl abandoned in a completely new place. A completely new, crazy place.

The King, the Kingdom, the throne, the Old English, the tiger. It's all like a goddamn fairytale. These people have been hurt, they've suffered but they're safe from the true horrors of the Saviors.

Their leader keeps their meetings with the Saviors secret. He tells them fancy lies, stories they like to hear because it comforts them.

But Odessa knows the true capabilities of the what the Saviors can do. She's experienced it first hand. She saw it when Negan murdered Abraham, when he murdered Glenn. She saw it when Kathleen stepped out of the RV, when Negan told Odessa to chop of her own brother's arm. She saw it when Negan kidnapped her and Daryl. She heard of it when she was informed of Spencer and Olivia's murders.

And she felt it. She felt it when she was forced into a tiny cell with no light expect for the sliver under the door.

But now she's given a room with a small bed. A real twin size bed, not a cot. There's a hamper full of clean clothes sitting corner of the gray painted room. There's a desk in the corner with dozens of little trinkets on it. The one that catches her eye is a pink troll with a truffle of teal blue hair.

Odessa picks it up and examines it. It's so ugly. She's gonna take it back to Alexandria with her when she returns. Maybe give it to Judith, keep it perhaps. Her room could use a pop of color here and there back home.

Daryl's room is right beside hers. He still hasn't said a word to her since the Hilltop. She won't deny the hurt she feels. She trusts Daryl, she always has and always will. But she doesn't understand why he's pushing her away.

They went through hell together at the Sanctuary. They both mourned Beth together. They're saved each other over and over and over. And they might be the only person that's never truly given up on the other. But now Daryl is withdrawn. He's distancing himself from Odessa on purpose.

The first night at the Kingdom is the hardest. Odessa lays in her bed, on a soft surface, after days of sitting on concrete. She hasn't gotten sleep in days.

Her eyes struggle to stay open. They flutter shut. Then she forces them back open. She can't stop thinking. Her mind is running ragged. Through her sleepy eyes, she holds up the wooden snake and bat. She runs her thumb over the surface. Tears well in her eyes.

She misses Glenn so bad. Her heart hurts more and more every day. The longer he's gone, the more it hurts. She misses his smile and his dumb dad jokes. She misses his gentle eyes and stupid optimism.

Most of all, she misses his comforting words.

She could hear some of that right now. Because at the moment, it's hard to stay standing. It's getting harder and harder to keep her head above water. She's sinking, she drowning. She needs to be saved. And no one is fucking here!

Not her father or her brother. Glenn and Abraham aren't here to help her. Maggie and Theo and Cole and Michonne are all back in Alexandria and Hilltop. Carol is still missing. Daryl won't even look at her.