Ep 21: Motherly Instinct Above Fear

"Stay close to me," Lyall whispers right before we walk out of the door, following Ganesh and Naver who are leading the group to the royal infirmary.

Even if he doesn't tell me, I would stay close to him. Athena has walked ahead alongside Naver, while I stay at the rear end of the group. So I only have Lyall for protection against these lycans, who were giving me deadly stares and can tear me up easily if they want to.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? Having to depend on someone else for survival. I bet if I had been a warrior, I would not have to worry to walk closely to someone else.

I bet if I had been a warrior, I could walk straight, chin high, and without a care in the world every time.

But I am not a warrior.

I am just an ordinary werewolf girl. No superpower, no strength in her bones, and no voice to speak up for myself.

Sighing, I nod at Lyall, then position myself as close as I can to him. Roy scoffs a little when he sees I am still under the lycan king's protection. 'What is wrong with him?' Sasha asks inside my mind.

Without me having to answer myself, Roy leans to Lyall and whispers, "I hope you have not forgotten 'her', Your Highness. With all the things she has done for you and for this kingdom." We three are far behind the rest of the group now, so only Lyall and I hear Roy's whisper.

Her... Is it the same woman that Athena and Albus had been talking about? The woman who I assume to be the boy's mother?

A diffuse burn pricks my chest as I wonder about this mysterious woman. It's a highly uncomfortable feeling. I keep reminding myself that it's never my place to be jealous of Lyall, but here I am, seething with that ridiculous feeling.

'He's our mate,' Sasha growls inside me. She tells me to grab Lyall's hand to show our possession, but I only curl my fists instead.

'Mate or not, he is not ours, Sash. Not like 'Ed' was to us.' I bite my lip to try to push down this jealousy.

'Ed was our chosen mate,' Sash continues, 'Lyall is our fated mate. So the Moon Goddess herself is telling us we should be with Lyall!'

'Shut it, Sash!' I raise my voice in my mind. 'Don't say that... That's also like saying that the Moon Goddess planned for Ed to die so we can be with Lyall.'

It hurts to even think about it. It's unfair to Ed too, and it really degrades our love together. I refuse to think like that. Ed will never be just a stepping stone for me to be with someone else. And his death should never be painted like such.

Sasha retreats to our deepest consciousness after that. I can feel her repulsiveness at her own words moments ago. My wolf feels guilty about her own words.

Those were truly ugly words. I caress my stomach without thinking at the same time that Lyall speaks up to Roy.

"Never speak of that woman in front of me, ever again." His voice is low, emphasizing each syllable, laced with a threatening growl. Not only that, Lyall hisses at Roy with his fangs descending slowly.

This is the lycan king showing his fangs to a subordinate. And as nature has set it in our blood, ranks rule our behavior. So Roy steps back and bows slightly. For the second time, he reveals his neck to Lyall, a show of submissiveness. But that is not enough for Lyall to retract his fangs.

"I know your family is indebted to her," Lyall steps forward, towering over Roy, who is also not exactly short either. The warrior lycan looks small compared to Lyall. "But have you forgotten what she had done to me?"

"Does this mean your loyalty is to her and not to me?" Lyall takes another step. One more inch and their foreheads would have touched. "Because if it is, that is a red flag to me, Roy."