Ep 73: Neverending

–Mason–

Right after Ed disappeared, the vampires are gone from our pack too. Some of them, I believe, appeal to another vampire clan to take them. Some saw the change in Ed, and followed him, wherever he may be gone.

The lycans, rogues, and elves returned to the Lycan Kingdom. I saw Lyall and Mars off formally as the alpha of the pack. And I used the chance to humbly apologize to Mars and to all the females of my pack. Throughout this experience, I have learned that I need to be a better man, and hence a better leader. Mars said she would check the pack from time to time to make sure I am a man of my words. So I told her she would be welcome anytime.

Then the process to restore our village started. I also took the time to revise our laws and ranks. It's now possible for females to be given other ranks other than omega and healers now. And though I fought quite a bit with the elders, I now have one senior female healer as part of the council member.

It's progress for sure, but we still have a long way to go. My new ways are despised by the conservative elders. But whenever I told him about Mars and Jen, also Gina, proof that females can achieve wonderful things too, even better than most men, they can't argue back. Because these three women have shown their power right to those conservative men's faces.

The only thing that is making me unable to sleep these days is the fact that Gina hasn't been awake for days. The healer says she is fine physically, but being forced to sleep for so long must have taken a toll on her mental. I visit her every day. I bathe her, clothe her, give her some of my energy through magic so her muscles wouldn't go wasting. I tell her every day how sorry I am and how... I am in love with her now.

Mars sends me a letter every few nights asking about Gina's condition. She even asks me if she should return to check on Gina herself. It's the middle of the night and I am almost writing a reply asking Mars to visit when I hear the sound of glass breaking in my mansion. My sharp hearing instantly locates the source of the sound in my room, which is where Gina is sleeping.

A part of me is panicking of the thought that someone is trying to hurt Gina. Yet another part of me is hurting... of the thought that Gina has finally awakened and she is running away.

When I rush to my room as fast as I can and open the door. My heart sinks like never before.

The bed is empty.

I then rush with the speed of light to the broken window. The small figure, cloaked in black is enough to tell me that my Luna is running away. And it hurts.

I grab a few things from the room and hurriedly jump from the window too. After mind-linking my betas to not chase us, I try my best to not alert more of my warriors, even though we both are running in the middle of the streets.

Gina jumps through the gate smoothly after shifting to her werewolf form. I, too, shift and then jump just behind her. She knows now that I am on her heels. So she raises her speed as she enters the forest.

"Gina, wait!" I call out to her.

She doesn't stop.

After a while, I can tell that she is heading to Crescent Lake. But because she has just woken up after passing out, her body is not as fit as it used to be. Her stamina must have been depleted by now because she is slowing down. I see a chance to stop her so I take it.

I jump at her. We tumble on the forest floor for a while. She lets out a whimper before pushing me away. Not wanting to hurt her, I jump back so she can stand again. We both stare at each other in our wolf forms.

"Let me go, Mason," Gina hisses, "You promised that I am free to go the night Ed died before that vampire thing took over his soul. Why stop me now?"

I transform back into my human form. Then I show her what I have been bringing along while chasing her in my hand. It's a bag full of clothes and food, also a pair of shoes. I tied the shoes together, so it was easier for me to carry.