Ep 60: What She Has

–Lyall–

.

"Where is she?" I ask the boy for what seems like a thousandth time during our walk to find Adina.

"Safe," he answers for the same amount of time I have asked him. With his irritating flat voice and deadpan dark eyes. It's as if I am the one annoying him when he is actually the one acting like a brat.

"Why won't you just tell me where she is?" I let out a growl, letting him know that I don't appreciate his riddles. "If you think you can keep me from getting to her–"

"I would never dream of that," he answers fast after stopping his track. Then he turns to look up at my eyes. "She's the happiest when she's with you." He then wraps us both with his shadows and together we are transported into another area of the forest.

Sky has told me about what happened to him when he tried to kill Albus, what Adina had done to him and his power, and that, without him truly understanding how, Adina's control of her magic wavered which caused him to be able to use his power again. Once his power was back, he helped Mars, got out of the basement under Albus's house, and went straight to this forest.

It pains me to hear the details about Mars's labor. That she had to cut herself open, that she had to go through tremendous pain, and that she had to do all that all alone. I was supposed to be there with her. I vowed to always protect her and not even a day has passed and I have broken it.

Mentally, I slap myself. I know that no amount of beating myself up can make up for the suffering Mars had to endure because of me. I dragged her into this mess. Because she is my mate, I want her. I need her to regain the piece of life I have lost.

But I have also made her Adina's target.

Such an idiot! I should have made more effort to protect Mars, to prevent Adina from getting out, to... to... to do anything than lose Mars like this! I am such a useless king. What use is this title, what use is my strength and my influence if I cannot protect the one person I...

...love...

The word still feels foreign to me. But when it comes up, a sense of warmth envelopes me. For a short second, I feel like Mars is here with me. So, I know that the word is right.

I brush my hair in frustration, trying to focus on the task I have at hand.

"Who helped you defeat Adina?" I ask Sky again for the dozenth time as soon as we appear on the other side of Eclipse Lake. It feels like he is purposefully leaving out details from me.

"Uh... someone that was nearby the scene..." he murmurs.

"He's someone I hate, isn't he?" That must be the only explanation. If not this, why else would Sky hide this information? So it must be someone Sky trusts... but I probably would not trust. I don't know if this piece of information can be comforting for me.

Sky nods.

My mind races to the full list of all my enemies, far and near. Sky told me it must be someone near the previous scene. Recalling my geographic memory... near that place... it must be...

...No...

No way.

I stop walking. My eyes are wide with horror as I connect the dots in my mind. Sky stops walking just two feet in front of me, then he turns with a sheepish grin on his face.

He dares to make such a face at this moment? This ridiculously annoying brat!

Rage boils inside me. I clutch my fists until the veins pop and grit my teeth, making sure he can see my sharp fangs. "Was it... Mason?" My voice reverberates with a low threat. I already know the answer, even if Sky doesn't answer me.