Ep 64: Edward Skyhunter

"Ed?" My voice shakes so much. Not only that, but my eyes water as the figure in front of me walks closer. With every thud of his footsteps, every rise and fall of his chest, every moment passing with him looking at me with those... those familiar eyes, and... and that warm smile I always took comfort in.

I can't even keep my mind straight. Every thought seems to jump at the speed of light inside me. I can't grasp any solid thought at all.

No matter how many times I blink, the image in front of me doesn't blur. He is real. He is here.

But how is this possible? I... saw his body got cremated into ashes, and I made sure that it was his scent. There's no way I could be wrong.

"Ed... is that really you?" My hand stretches to reach him.

There were days I hugged the urn of his ashes, crying to my sleep, wondering why fate was so cruel to take him away from me. And there were days I was so scared to even sleep because I didn't know how to face the future without him, especially knowing that I was pregnant.

Remembering those days, my tears burst without me wanting to. "Ed..." My throat wobbles so much, trying to reign in all the sobs clumping inside. "Ed..."

He cups my face with both of his hands. Our eyes meet and I can see that tears have pooled in his eyes, too. "I'm here, love." He rubs my cheeks gently, wiping away my tears one by one. His touch is cold. But his scent always brings warmth to me, it has always given me comfort. With a kind smile, he whispers, "I'm here now. And we'll be together again."

His words force me to cut our eye contact. I look down at the white blanket that, as it turns out, I have been gripping hard from the start. My knuckles are white like snow. Despite Ed trying to wipe my tears one by one, some slip and drop to my hand.

Then... What about... Lyall? My fated mate?

I nudge Sasha, who is also beyond shock, to see Ed back. She has been blinking nonstop, sniffing the air multiple times to make sure that it's truly our Ed.

'It's Ed, Sasha!' I cry out to her.

But she disregards my words and continues to feel wary about Ed. Her emotions are my emotions. So I can feel her slight fear, disbelief, and her instinct saying that something is off.

I don't understand why my wolf won't warm up to the very person who we chose as a mate before. The very person who helped us and protected us. Perhaps our current bond with Lyall stops Sasha from rekindling our previous bond with Ed.

'Mars,' Sasha says, 'We still can't reach Lyall.'

'Sasha!' I can't believe the way she is acting. 'It's Ed! It's Ed!'

'Adina said that it was your wedding dress that blocked our bond. I wonder how long the effect would last. Or is something else blocking the bon–'

'Sasha!'

'Yes, Mars, I know it's Ed!' Sasha finally addresses the issue at hand. 'The male we chose as our chosen mate. But he has died. Look at him! His hair and skin are different. Something is not right about him. And even if he didn't die, he made us think he had died and made us endure all those terrible nights.'

I blink into reality. Sasha has some good points. My gaze flicks at Mason for a short second. Alpha Mason puts his head down in the presence of Ed. He stands a respectable distance from us, but he is no longer leaning to the window. It's as if Ed is the alpha now and Mason is being submissive to him.

Sasha is right. Something is off.

Another thing that pops up in my mind is that this could probably just be a projection, or perhaps Mason manipulates my mind into seeing Ed alive again. Or... disgustingly, perhaps Mason makes me see himself as Ed in order for him to keep me as his Luna, the female equivalent of an Alpha.