Ep 68: Cry for Help

–Ed–

Darn it!

That Lycan King has come back.

I can smell his annoying lycan scent from afar. He is not alone, as well. That shadow pet of his is tagging along, and probably is the one sending him back here at the speed of light.

My fists are curled tightly on my side. My descended fangs dig deep into my lower lip, drawing out blood without me realizing it. From the top of my tower, I can see them as two small dots in the distance walking to the gate. My reflection from the window shows a man fuming in anger.

What I don't understand is why would he come back now when he just left her last night? What made him change his mind?

Tch. Whatever. I will make him turn away again.

I mind link Mason to take care of Lyall before Mars can smell or sense him. The crystal implanted inside Mars's body should have blocked their bond, but Mars's werewolf instinct is still sharp as ever. So before Lyall gets too close to the pack, I have to get rid of him.

"Say we'll consider it as an invitation to war if he insists on going forward," I say in frustration to Ed.

"But... he's coming alone. The world will condemn us if we ignite war because of this, Ed–" I give Mason a cold, deadly stare. Soon after, Mason corrects himself, "I–I mean... Your... Highness..." It must feel so odd for Mason, my previous Alpha to have to call me with a title, to treat me as someone higher than him. For me, however, it feels splendid to be able to make a cocky bastard like him submit to me.

I smile crookedly at Mason's submission. This alpha, unexpectedly, is quite a romantic, with him willing to do my bidding just to save his Luna. Well, his ex–Luna, since she had decided to break the bond and run away from the pack.

It's funny.

I look at Mason, at the man I knew only ever cared about the pack and his rules, at the man who never once cared whether his Luna was alive or dead. To Mason, females were replaceable. He told me personally, in the past, that the only purpose a female has is to breed pups. I disagreed with him back then. And I still do.

Having Mars as my partner was the best thing that ever happened to me. I promised to always treat her well, and she grew on me. That's what she does best. She grows on people. She was my best friend, my breath of fresh air after hard days as a warrior, my safe place.

I miss more than anything for us to go back to the way we were before. I'd go on about my day as a warrior, then I would come back to her greeting me with a smile, a warm meal, and her eagerness for me to tell her my days whether it was good or bad.

When I came back as a vampire, the house was empty. There was no kind smile, no warm meal, and no one I could tell about my crazy day. There was no Mars. My entire world went dark just like that. That was when I knew I needed someone like Mars in my life, no matter what.

I just want to go back to the way things were. They were perfect because of Mars.

So if the Lycan King thinks he can steal Mars away from me, he is wrong.

"Make him turn back then," I order Mason, "Do whatever you must. Just don't let him cross the gate. I will not have him meet Mars."

Mason bows before retreating to the pack's gate to talk to the Lycan King. I can trust him to not do anything funny because I see the way he looks at Gina. Mason has fallen head over heels for Gina, and that is exactly why Gina is the perfect hostage for me to use. I knew Mason had changed and would turn the world upside down for Gina just one moment before I died in my old body.