Chest Pains

A few hours after Robin left Steve actually woke up. He heard the crackle of bacon in the kitchen. He sat up and looked over to Eddie listening to the radio quietly while setting two plates of food. Steve couldn't help but stare a moment at the sight he had never seen before. Eddie's hair was tied up, he looked almost like a woman. That thought justified Steve's eye wondering. His casual clothes looked good on him, just a black shirt and tight jeans. Steve started to fixate on those jeans, at first he though he ought to get a pair for himself it was doing a lot for Eddie and then his thoughts took a wordless turn, just and odd feeling in his stomach.

Steve's gawking was interrupted by a coughing fit, he slammed his face into a pillow while he hacked.
"Oh fuck." He heard Eddie stumble out of the kitchen with a bowl and a glass of water for Steve. Steve spit flowers and blood in the bowl and then downed the water, the burning in his throat everytime he drank water just became normal at this point. Steve looked up at Eddie,
"Thanks again."
"No problem." He picked up the glass and bowl and went back to the kitchen. "Hungry?" Eddie asked,
"You want me to be honest?" Steve asked, he set up the futon so he could sit properly.
"You're eating either way so..."
"Got me there." Steve chuckled at Eddie's motherly way of taking care of him. He had to admit, despite the dire circumstances, it was nice being taken care of.

Eddie came back his hair down again, carrying to plates with bacon and pancakes.
"Sorry no eggs, I don't know how to make those." Steve shook his head,
"Eggs are overrated anyways." Eddie laughed softly. Steve poked at his food feeling no appetite, no matter what he ate it was just gonna taste like those God awful flowers.
"Steve.."
"No! I'm eating, I'm eating." He took a painful bite of pancakes. "It's good." He lied and shoved more pancake in his mouth.
"Okay, Harrington." Eddie called his bluff.
"Okay, Munson." Steve mocked.
"Just as sassy as ever." Eddie laughed.
"You're one to talk." Steve smiled, banter was just what he needed right now. Eddie had really been holding back on poking fun at him this week and didn't think he'd miss it this much.

"Pfft, you're the most sarcastic single mother I've ever met." Steve rolled his eyes at this,
"Mother? That's original." Eddie shook his head but instead of firing back he averted his gaze. "Eds?" Steve asked, "Did I say something-"
"No no no, I uh.. I was just thinking.." Eddie shook his head and gave him a sad smile.
"Tell me." Steve demanded.
"Dustin, he... he hasn't been well."
"What, he seemed fine yesterday?" Concern washed over Steve.
"Of course he seemed fine to you, he's worried about you." Steve looked away, "And hell I am too."
"Eddie-"
"No, Steve, if we're really having this conversation I get to start, you are taking your sweet time with this disease." Eddie wasn't wrong but it wasn't Steves fault.
"Listen man, I don't know how to fix this yet." Steve felt a bit more pain in his chest now. "I've gone on a million dates this year and not one girl has worked out, I am so fucked right now, I get it." Steve ran a hand through his hair in stress. "But there's not a god damn thing I can do!" The painful tightness in his chest got worse making him clutch it. "Oh shit." He hissed. In an instant Eddie was by his side.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it worse." Eddie said,
"It's fine." Steve took sharp breaths to sooth his suffering.
"What can I do?" Eddie asked and laid a gentle touch on Steve's back.

Steve was sure it was his warm hand that made him feel better.
"I'm okay now-" Steve was cut off by the phone ringing, Eddie went to get it.
"Hello, Eddie speaking.... Yeah he's okay.... yeah." He turned to Steve, "Steve, Nancy's calling for you." Eddie grined and raised his eyebrows. Steve rolled his eyes and staggered his way to the phone.
"Nance?" He asked,
"How are you feeling?" She asked,
"Still kicking."
"That's great, can you possibly stop by today?" Her tone had taken on some worry.
"Is everything alright?" Steve was really feeling the fear now. "Nancy?"
"I don't know."
"On my way."
"Steve."
"Yeah?"
"Come alone."

He hung up and got his shoes on immediately.
"Steve?" Eddie asked, he poked his head into the kitchen.
"Nancy needs something." He explained,
"Like serious help?"
"I don't know, she just sounded worried." Eddie followed him to the door,
"Can I help?"
"No." Eddie was taken aback, "She told me to come alone."
"Oh." Eddie uttered, "That's great man." Eddie turned to face his apartment, avoiding Steve's eyes.
"It's not like that."
"Right." Eddie nodded, "There's no need to lie to me, it's quite literally life or death."
"I'm not-" Eddie turned to him with a big smile,
"Just go, man, it's important." Steve nodded and made his way out.

"Idiot." Eddie said to himself. He dreaded this, he dreaded their eventual union.

Before he could really let out his frustration Robin burst through the door. Blood dripped from her chin and nose. She hung on the door and clutched her chest. Her breathing was harsh and uneven. Eddie rushed to her before she fell over,
"Holy shit, dude." He caught her. He got to the kitchen and to a chair. "What happened."
"I found out who I'm in love with and it turns out she's unattainable." Robin was hunched over clutching her stomach, "And suddenly she's more important than my life to me so there's that." She started shaking. "I've never felt so helpless." She admitted as Eddie handed her a wet rag.
"Who is she?" Eddie asked,
"She?" Robin asked realizing she had outed herself.
"Yeah, you said-"
"I'm aware, and you're cool with it?"
"I wear a bandana in my back pocket every damn day, Ro, I myself am gay."