Heart Tremors

Steve made it to Nancy's in the late afternoon. He too also bypassed Mr Wheeler and went straight to the basement. Nancy sat faced away at the desk. Steve looked over her shoulder to see a bent out of shape paper in front of her.
"Nancy?" She turned to him.
"Steve, is Robin okay?"
"What, wasn't she here?" He asked, she handed him the paper. Robins scattered hand writing covered the top part of the page.

I love you

Steve's eyes widened at the closing words. He didn't know what to feel, happy? Worried? Or should he be asking Nancy how she felt. No matter what he thought he was speechless.

"Does Robin, love me? Like romantically?" Nancy asked.
"I uh... I." For the first time in his life he actually had no damn words. Torn between stating obvious and not selling out Robin. "Did she give you this note?" He asked reluctantly.
"No, before she left she was really upset, and I found this balled up on the floor." Nancy flopped down on the couch. She had a thousand mile stare.

There was a pause before they spoke again.
"Would it be bad if she did love you?" Steve asked. He stood shaken by the turn of events. Nancy sighed,
"Of course not, I mean I love her but I don't know if its in that way." She admitted. Steve felt a sudden surge of happiness, as far as he was concerned this was a step closer to saving Robin.

Nancy thought a moment,
"I can't see her until I've figured it out." She said,
"What?" Steve asked, "How will that help?"
"What if I somehow make her feel rejected, then she'll die." Nancy felt pit in her stomach, "And I really don't want to hurt her, nevermind killing her!" Steve nodded,
"Right, that makes sense but how are you gonna figure this out without her?"
"I'm just gonna have to try, it's better for her." Nancy looked down in sorrow. "At least for now."

---

"Nancy?!" Eddie asked,
"Don't act like you didn't see this coming." Robin sighed and finished washing her face. "Where's Steve?" Eddie sucked in a sharp breath,
"He got a call, needed to deal with something." Robin eyed him,
"Elaborate."
"Nancy, he went to see Nancy." Eddie felt dread in his heart as he said it. There was no more coherent thought for Robin just physical pain. It felt like frost bite was eating through her lungs and into her heart. She grabbed at her heart,
"Ow..." She hissed,
"Oh shit."
"I think I need to lay down for a bit." Eddie nodded and helped her to the couch. He covered her with blankets and pillows in an attempt to keep her warm. He sat down next to her.

The only sound in the room was Robins hard breathing.
"Eddie." Her voice reminded him of a scared child's.
"Do you need anything?" He asked.
"No.. You can't tell Steve or Nancy."
"Wha-"
"I won't ruin this for them!" Robin fought back some coughs as she spoke. Tears leaked from her eyes, "Steve will get to live, and they'll be together, I don't want them to feel guilty." Eddie wanted to protest but he understood her.
"This is so fucked up."
"Tell me about it...."
"Are you sure it's Nancy?"
"Would I be feeling this shitty if it wasn't?" Eddie rubbed her back, hoping to sooth the tremors.
"I suppose no." Eddie was starting drown in the sorrow with Robin. He tried to fight his own tears but failed,
"Eddie please.. Don't."
"I can't help it damnit." He wiped his eyes.

A knock at the door snapped them out ot there depressed stupor. Dustin walked in with the party.
"Hello hello, we brought snacks." They came around to the couch.
"Where's Steve?" Lucas asked,
"Wheelers." Eddie explained. Dustin came around to face Robin.
"How ya doing?" He asked,
"I'm dying, Dustin that's how I'm doing." She huffed. Despite her agony she was happy to see him.

The kids stayed for awhile but left so Robin could get some sleep. Eddie watched over her vigilantly. Later in the evening Steve came back. Eddie met him in the kitchen.
"Cured?" Eddie asked,
"Huh?"
"Any confessing today or...?"
"No." Steve had a look of exhaustion and confusion on his face.

They shared a silent moment where Eddie fought with his grief, anger and joy. Grief for Robin of course but he was somehow happy for Steve and angry at him. Happy that'd he'd live if he just confessed. Also angry because his life would cost Robin. He knew damn well Steve would die for Robin so why was he still angry?

Despite his best efforts his jaw still clenched and his muscles tensed.

"Something on your mind, Munson?" Steve asked, a bit of playfulness in his tone.
"Nothing much, pretty boy." He joked, trying to shove down his feelings,
"Pretty boy? That's new." Steve tilted his tired head.
"Are you gonna disagree?" Eddie asked. "You've got it all." A bit of Eddie's anger came through, he mentally beat himself up for it.
"Seriously, you got a problem?" Steve asked, hostility entered the air.
"I'm just stressed Harrington, frustrated even." Their eyes met. Steve could see he was struggling greatly.
"Tell me."
"I can't." Eddie tuned away, "I'm going to check on Robin."
"What the fuck Eddie?" Steve asked following him,
"Shhhh." Eddie whispered,
"Fine, but please tell me." Steve insisted.
"I'm serious I am just stressed as hell." Steve looked away with the gut feeling that he wasn't being truthful.

Later that night when Steve laid down to sleep he couldn't shake the stomach ache he had. The pain was certainly from the 'conversation' he and Eddie had. It's not like he could forget, Eddie came around to check on he and Robin periodically.

He just wanted to sleep.