Chapter 13 - on the side line

Perrie POV

In the morning, I slip out of her arms quite early to use the shower, knowing full well that there are numerous paparazzi waiting for us outside the hospital doors and that I shouldn't look completely neglected. It is true that I have also spent the last two nights here, but not as a patient. I haven't seen the inside of a shower, my hair is a disaster and I'm still wearing the same clothes.

When I come out of the bathroom a little more refreshed, she slowly opens her eyes, which brings a smile to my face.

"Good morning," I say softly and give her a kiss on the forehead, whereupon she grabs my hand and snuggles into it.

"Hey," she whispers in a raspy voice.

"Are you feeling better?", I ask quickly, feeling the worry lines on my face again. But she smiles at me with her big eyes and nods assuring me, "I'm fine."

We wait for a while, talking, laughing or just staring at each other. As if we don't have a care in the world. Maybe at least today we can pretend we do. The doctor should have come into the room half an hour ago to discharge Jade and I notice her getting a little nervous, despite my attempts of distraction.

"What about our schedule?" she asks me uncertainly at some point.

"Don't worry about that," I immediately assure her, although I also know that the schedule is tight anyway and the slightest delay can get us into serious trouble.

In the end, the doctor arrived an hour later than expected and dismissed Jade with some words of warning. After I called Paul to let him know we were now on our way, we are immediately met by two bodyguards at the door. Apparently, it is normally hospital rule that patients who are being discharged are brought out in a wheelchair, but Jade refused. However, as she is still quite wobbly on her feet, she clings to me with everything she has while I lead us to the bus. Although the bodyguards shield us as best they can, we are of course aware of all the paparazzi around us. We both have hoodies on and pull the hoods deep into our faces, but it doesn't help much. When we arrive at the bus, I help her climb the stairs and can see from her expression that just getting here was an effort. Protectively, I put an arm around her shoulders and lead her on a direct way to our couch so that she can quickly sit down.

"Jadey!", Leigh calls out immediately as we approach them and wraps Jade tightly in her arms.

"Good to have you back, little one!", Jesy says and joins in the hug. And of course I can't resist and we are soon in one of our famous group hugs and don't even want to let go when we suddenly hear a loud throat clearing behind us. Abruptly we turn to Paul, who is eyeing Jade and me furiously in particular.

"An hour late," he states. "You're an entire hour late! Do you have any idea what this is doing to our entire schedule?!"

I snort contemptuously, finding it hard to believe that he actually wants to blame us for this, but Jade beside me goes all small and quiet.